1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Max hours on a Bobcat Skid

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by grandview, Mar 22, 2015.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If your looking at used what would be your point of not buying one?

2. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Between 3000 and 4000 hours is when they really start to need a lot of repairs.

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Max hours to me depend on who owned it, how they maintained it, what they did with it, who ran it, and where was it stored.

There's a big difference between a 2500hr machine that was outside 24/7, ran hard and put away wet by cheap employee's and it was only greased or had oil changes when they thought of it and repairs were only done when absolutely necessary and a 2500hr machine that was ran only by the owner, cared for, maintained well, and stored inside whenever possible. You'll pay more for the looked after machine but it'll be worth it compared to something that looks like it was a rented mule it's whole life.

4. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Maintenance records mean more than hours.

I'd much rather have a 6000 hour machine that's done nothing but push snow and scrape barn alleys on a farm, than a 2000 hour machine that's run a breaker and cold planer it's entire life.

If someone can show maintenance records and/or what it did that's an added bonus. On anything older, say earlier than 2010, a lot of those hour meters can replaced with the dash and depending on if it was a dealer or the owner switching, the hours might or might not be accurate. Not a common thing, but it can and does happen.

Check for mounting plate slop, and slop in the pins for boom and bucket. If you can, have the cab tilted up and look in the belly pan. Those 3 things will give a good indication of what kind of life the unit has had, and care it has gotten.

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  6. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Aside from an old 743 I have at my mothers, all of the skids go away after 3k hours. But those are also tracked except one S650. But they get WORKED hard also, good maintenance but when we are done with them they need 5-10k in parts. So generally speaking of look less then 3k hours, and not owned by an excavating, or concrete company.

7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd buy a skid steer from an excavating company before I ever bought one from a landscaper. At least excavation outfits take care of their equipment for the most part, there are exceptions though

8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Honestly I think what I would want to buy from is a dairy farm or farm in general, generally good maintenance, and not worked hard.

9. grandview

10. 1olddogtwo

Most track units suck in the snow

11. grandview

Funny,guy around here loves it for snow,only real problem is with a fully loaded push box it tends not to turn so well.

12. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Bobcat tracks suck in the snow, cats aren't as bad but I'd rather have a wheeled machine. Haven't tried it but apparently if you get winter tracks they aren't so bad. But I know first hand bobcat "block" tracks suck in the winter.

13. ByDesign

ByDesign Senior Member

I just went thru this whole delima about hrs on a machine...I decided on wanting a machine with under 2k hrs for a few reasons.

1. If you're using the machine for snow removal & light landscaping use during the summer, you'll put between 300-400 hrs a year on it. That means you should get a few trouble free years on it before you can see if things start to fail. At that point you may be in a position to upgrade.

2. Pins on bobcats stay pretty good on the machine for 3k hrs and are pretty easy to replace.

3. A machine with tires can be easily fitted to tracks for less than $10K, but replacement on an undercarriage for a tracked machine is super pricey....at the 3k hr mark an undercarriage will need some love pretty soon.

I ended up setting on an 11' S750 with just under 1k hrs. I felt like I paid about average for the machine and got a set of new tires thrown in on the deal. Should be all i'll need (power wise) out of a skid for landscape/plowing use & hopefully will last for many years to come.

14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Best look for joy stick models If you use it for lots hours at a time Them hand /foot control will wear you out

15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

O no that be worst person to buy from

Everyone I seen that was used feed with smells bad and schitt is hard on things

16. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

rent it from someone like american/milton/bobcat of buffalo.. for a season...at the end of the season they may make you one heck of a deal to purchase it

17. John_DeereGreen

My guys would argue with you on that. We have 2 new Cat 242D's with joysticks, and 2 New Holland L175's with mechanical hand controls. They fight over who gets to run the NH's with over 4K hours because they're smoother and easier to grade with. All but 1 guy hates the joysticks. Every EH machine I've ever run is touchy as hell and the lag in the controls drives me nuts. No more joystick machines for us until we have no other option.

18. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

The lag was bad on the older models, new mot nearly as bad

19. John_DeereGreen

One of the Kitty's is a '13, one a '14. Had a Deere last fall as a demo before we leased the second Kitty and it was just as bad.

I want to buy into the "less fatigue, switchable control patterns for different operators, etc" but every time I try one after the first day I end up getting out hating them even more than when I got in it.

20. 1olddogtwo

Think steering wheel with paddle's for controls....

I grew up on old Mustang with at handle for steering that was a very responsive machine considering I was 7, I was impressed