1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mattracks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by basheroffroad, Dec 26, 2004.

1. basheroffroad

basheroffroad Junior Member

I'm just getting into plowing and I was wondering if anyone is running Mattracks on a plow truck and how well they perform. I am looking into getting a set for my rig and would like some info on their performance before I make a financial commitment of of this size. anyone not familiar with Mattracks can check out their website at www.mattracks.com
    any ideas or info would be appreciated.

2. hillmin

hillmin Junior Member

You might want to give the board an example of just where you will be plowing. In my 20+years experience plowing, I've never seen anyone using them to plow commercially.

3. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

When plowing you need to be able to maneuver around alot. All the vehicles I have seen with mattracks will go anywhere but don't turn like ones with tires. Unless you are doing some serious plowing of some fierce terrain I cannot imagine you needing tracks.

4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

What about getting to and from jobs? They aren't legal on the roads are they?

5. biggtruck

biggtruck Junior Member

Dude!!!! Those things are like $$15,000 or something. Crazy $$$$$

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I remember seen a guy somewhere in WV with a set on a Chevy 3500. He said he had some gravel roads and driveways he plowed that were straight up according to him. He had a 8' fisher and V box spreader on it. He did stay he burns up a power steering pump every year.

7. basheroffroad

basheroffroad Junior Member

thanks

thanks for the help and yes they are street legal in PA as long as you can have studs you can have tracks or atleast thats what I heard.

8. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

they are a sweet setup but do cost around 20k, they can be set up to turn tighter, the cheapest way would be to run a cable to activat the e-brake seperatly for each tire. or you could run a hydraulic setup.

9. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Why ????
    For plowing snow? LOL
    I think a dedicated set of winter snow tires and rims would be a wee bit cheeper and probally pay for themselves too. It would be awfully tuff to actually make money and pay off a set of those. I guess if you had mountain driveways straight up a 70 degree incline, and they paid 500 a push you might be able to pay them off in about 10 or 15 years. :rolleyes:
    Todd

10. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I drove several vehicles with them while working for the Government in some National Parks. I would think that the only people who could afford them would be government agencies. All of the vehicles drove like bulldozers, not much turning in tight area's. I would NOT recommend them for plowing, maybe with a truck mounted snow blower though. For what you would spend on the track setup and a truck mounted snowblower you could probably buy 4 or 5 brand new plow trucks or maybe a small fleet of used trucks...better off buying a used single axle 4x4 Oshkosh with a plow than buying the tracks, might be about the same price... :cry:

11. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Jeeezzzz...

what do you budget for those. 5k/yr over 4 yrs?

12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Are you kidding? for $20K you could buy a small dozer or a wheel loader with a blade!!
    If you have enough snow that you can;t get traction with tires you need a bigger truck, that's all. Going from a Chevy 3500 to a Kodiak/F550-650 for example- or even the ultimate- a Walter Snow fighter. I have a friend in north West Maine up on a mountain- he keeps the logging roads (the only way in) open with a Unimog and 10 foot snowblower or the small Dozer if it comes down too heavy too quick.

You know the old addage- If all else faile get a bigger hammer!

13. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

those would have looked sweet on my honda civic