1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mating 80's plow to 2002 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by PinkyRingz, Nov 27, 2008.

1. PinkyRingz

PinkyRingz Member

I posted this in the general forum I think (new to the site, it's pretty cool by the way..no pun intended..lol) but I recently bought an old Western plow from a guy who is in the plowing business. I got the plow for little more then a song so I thought I would try and make it work.
    He said the plow and everthing works and seems like a pretty good guy so I'll take his word for it.
    The plow is off an 80's Chev (unsure of year) and it's a 7.5' straight blade. I want to mount it on my GMC 3500 Dually. If I can get it mounted I'll put those wing extension things on.

I took the harness (not sure if thats what it's called, the pump is mounted on it) and the truck to a local garage. Those guys do good work and do things proper. Mind you the boss told me it would be about 3000.00 to get an adapter and make that plow work. That's a bit out my price range. I figure for that price I could have an entire new unit made from scratch to fit.

My welder/mechanic is going to come by tomorrow to have a look to see what can be done. The frame rails on the truck behind the bumper are about 36" apart and the ears on the plow harness are about 30" apart. I would have to somehow make up the difference (measurements are approximate). I was thinking of welding heavy gauge square metal tubing to the harness to make up the difference in widths, if I did that do I drill holes to bolt the rig to the truck?