1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Materials for the Kubota_8540 Tote Brine Maker

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by valleyviewlawns, Jan 17, 2015.

1. valleyviewlawns

valleyviewlawns Member
    from Montana

Items needed to make the Kubota_8540 Brine Maker. I built mine a little differently then Kubota did as I have different parts available in my area. I built mine to run off of the pump I have mounted on my truck so I use cam lock fittings to connect and disconnect to my pump. Also, I realized after I built mine that I don't need 5 ball valves, just 3. The 2 extra ball valves are for sucking liquid out of the 2 tanks, or adding a different liquid into the tanks, like LCC or Mag. I mix mag with the salt brine in my truck tank, and since I use one pump mounted in my truck I don't have a need for the other valves. My hoses have female cam locks on both ends and my tanks and sprayer all have male cam lock fittings.

2, 275 Gallon Totes
    2" Pacer POLY pump with a Briggs Engine
    2, ten foot pieces of 2" PVC, 3 if you are bad at measuring like me. :D
    2, ten foot pieces of 3/4" PVC
    11, two inch PVC 90 degree elbows, slip
    3, two inch PVC sanitary tee, slip
    10, two inch PVC adapter, slip on one end, male threads on the other.
    4, PVC 2" to 3/4" slip adapters
    5, poly two inch, full port, bolted ball valves with female threads. Banjo, Greenleaf, Bee. Boyd's Equipment is the cheapest place online that I have found these.
    2, two inch PVC 45 degree elbows, slip
    1, two inch PVC cross tee, slip
    5, two inch tank adapters, poly
    5, two inch hose barbs, poly
    4, two inch poly male cam lock fittings, 2 with female threads, 2 with male threads. Female threaded fittings go on the end of the PVC, male threaded fittings go on the end of 2 of the ball valves.
    2 inch suction hose. Get something good, Goodyear Green Hornet or Cold Blue, for cold temps, otherwise they can be STIFF when it is cold out.
    1 pint, Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue.

After cutting the PVC get ALL of the PVC shavings/particles off of the pipes or they will find their way into your spray boom nozzles when it is 10 below zero outside and you need your sprayer to work properly.

Get a few 2 inch PVC slip couplers in case you need to reconfigure anything after it is glued. I moved a few things in and out as I was building mine.
    A couple bags of 14"-18" Zip Ties/Cable Ties, rated for outdoor use.
    As Kubota found through lots of testing and reconfiguring, using four 3/4" PVC pipes facing straight down in each corner, about 4" from the bottom of the tank gets the best rolling/mixing/agitating action. I can leave my pump at nearly idle and get good fast mixing without sending any salt into the lower tank.

The 2" PVC suction pipes pointed at the bottom of the tanks work good at 1"-2" off the bottom of the tank. Not too close to suck stuff off the bottom of the tank and not too far away that you can't get most of the liquid out of the tanks. The overflows were punched through the upper tank at the 200 gallon marks. I attached a picture of Kubota's Brine Maker and a picture of the inside of the upper tank plumbing. Also, I used pallets to elevate my upper tank, and Kubota built a pretty nice platform for his. I went as cheap as I could on this first one, the next one might get more bling. ALL credit to Jim Johnson (Kubota_8540). Feel free to comment or add what you did to make yours.

---Kubota's Brine Maker---

Kubotas Brine Maker.jpg

IMG_20150117_092513_681.jpg

Kubotas Overflows.jpg

2. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Great write up man :drinkup:

3. Bryn

Bryn Junior Member

Quick question on the PVC pipe, is it sch 40 or just regular PVC.

Thanks

Bryn

4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I personally use the solid core pipe. These pumps usually only put out up 45 psi, so no need really for schedule 40. But it never hurts for durability.

5. Kubota 8540

After these tote type brinemakers make about 30,000 gallons of brine, the tote plastic wears thru where the 3/4" down pipes flow water and roll the salt at their outlet. Simple solutions are 1) glue an additional piece of plastic to the tote to act as a wear piece or 2) get a new tote.

6. Bryn

Bryn Junior Member

So the white plumbing pipe is just regular PVC?

Thanks for the other answer and suggestion on the wear.

Bryn

7. Kubota 8540

DWV pvc yes.

8. Bryn

Bryn Junior Member

Thanks so much.

Will pickup my totes tomorrow and start gathering my supplies.

Bryn

9. mr.lawn works

mr.lawn works Member

Would you mind posting more pictures valleyviewlawns?

10. Bryn

Bryn Junior Member

11. Kubota 8540

12. c.debold

c.debold Junior Member

This is the set up I am looking to build. Question... Is there four drop downs of the 3/4" pipe in the upper tank? It appears there are 3.
    Thanks.

13. valleyviewlawns

valleyviewlawns Member
    from Montana

4, here is one of Kubota's videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCISUte2IwE

14. c.debold

c.debold Junior Member

I'm going for it. I have the totes and going get the pump and fittings tomorrow.

15. doro1

doro1 Junior Member

how many feet of the 2" suction pipe do you need?

16. Kubota 8540

There are 4.

17. Kubota 8540

I think (2) 10' pieces. I don't have a list.....lol

18. Kubota 8540

P1070633.jpg

Many different configurations and version are possible. Depending on size (gallons) wanted. Also you should keep the plumbing and valves on the motor side in order to allow for free space to load with bags or buckets.

P1070633.jpg

19. doro1

doro1 Junior Member

DO you have any pics of the whole inside of the top tote? where does the single 2" line go to in the top tote? Is that just to draw out the brine once its made?

20. Kubota 8540

I'm terrible about taking pictures and making list. But the 2" just goes straight down toward the bottom of the tote and stays about 6-8" off the bottom so it doesn't suck up any raw salt.