1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Material Flow on SHPE 2000 -- Adding a second vibrator

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by simply_peter, Mar 5, 2013.

1. simply_peter

simply_peter Member
    from Iowa

I spread salt-sand mix that is stored outside. I find that the material empties faster from the back of the spreader and the material on the front slope of the box hangs and takes a long time to work it's way down to the auger. Once I get to the last 1/4 of the the load the sand just sits on the slope and very slowly vibrates down to the rear baffle in a small stream of sand. I have the front and rear baffle about 3/4 open for each.

Has anyone made any modifications to make the material flow better? I was thinking about adding a second vibrator to the lower part of the front slope. Has anyone done this with success or failure?

I like the spreader, just wanting to improve the flow for the end of the load. I had a gas v-box before this and I get much better control of the quantity of material going down with the poly spreader, but it seems like I am spending alot more time spreading especially towards the end of the load. It's got to be the damp sand causing the problem, but I don't have a dry option for material.

Has anyone moved back to the electric drag chain models from the auger type spreaders? Or have experience with sand in both models?

Thanks for any advice you can share.

2. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

We use electric drag chain spreaders with no problems. We do not run a vibrator on them, and never experience any bridging material not finding it's way to the conveyor. Only salt is run through with no sand, so this may not be any help to you.

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

If you need to move wet sand in that hopper,you will need a HUGE capacity second vibrator for it to work. You would need something in the order of an underbed dump truck vibrator to shake,rattle,and roll that sand.My Magic salt,whether dry or slightly damp has no problem moving with the stock Buyers vibrator.