1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

matching truck with new plow on websites of plow manufacturer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by goatboy1, Nov 8, 2009.

1. goatboy1

goatboy1 Member

have recently purchased a 2004 f350 crew cab 4x4 6.0 with 6.8 box and am kind of frustrated that local dealers of western,fisher or blizzard would refuse to install a new wideout,a Vplow or any plow over a 1000 pounds on my vehicle.Their reason is that the front is to heavy and the rear can't be loaded with enough ballast. I have checked out all the quick or eazy match tables on the websites of manufacturers and am aware that it only matches a plow with a matching truck.What frustrates me, is that on this forum and on youtube I see or read about plenty of operators that have 1000lbs. plus plows attached to 1/2 ton trucks,jeeps etc....Two local sales people of plowing equipment have told me that my brakes may fail and that some companies would be scrupelous enough to disregard that fact and install it for me. I am convinced that I would rather have a product with a proven track record on the other hand I don't want to destroy my truck ,let alone hurt somebody in an accident.Advice please...

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Guys run a lot of things on their truck that they shouldn't .Buy it and install it yourself.Plowing and not destroying your truck is an oxymoron.

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

What he said. As long as you're under FAWR and GVWR you're legal. Assuming you have an extended or crew cab, the manufactures are assuming there's going to be a butt in each seat in the truck while you're plowing, so they assume you're going to be over your FAWR. Friend of mine has an 03 7.3 crew cab with an 810, and it hung low even with x-code springs, so he put add a leafs on it as well and it plows great. I have an 8611lp on my F350 crew cab, and an 810 on my F250 extended cab, both gassers, and an 810 on an F250 diesel extended cab with x-codes and timbrens. Find someone willing to do it, or install it yourself, your truck can handle it with the right springs.

4. goatboy1

goatboy1 Member

Thanks for the good help guys...I love this forum...now let it snow!

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The diesel engine is why most manufacturers don't list a plow for a truck.
    Read through the different plow brand forums and see what people put them on.

6. Doin_It

Doin_It Senior Member
    from Mt.

So very true..............only thing is, if a accident were ever to occur where someone one was hurt, and thier lawyer was to bring up the plow install etc, you don't have a plow to stand on. But as stated, many do it.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You read about people doing all kinds of things, you hear about the guy who won 50Million but not the ones who spend a dollar a day everyday but never win.
    Guys brag about installing a plow that is not suited for their vehicle but they rarely come back and tell us about their overheating troubles or the trans they cooked or the ball joint that let go. The dealers refusing to install plows are pros whom value their livelihood and are not willing to violate the FVMSSA statues or risk legal actions for a couple dollars.

Do they have plow prep? If not you will need to have the clutch fan changed to avoid overheating. Yes many people install plows not approved for installation on their vehicle, but then a lot of people deal crack on the corner or perform B&Es for a living does not make it right.

Their lawyer WILL bring up the plow, your insurance company could decline coverage (read the part about no coverage for intentional circumvention of the law or criminal actions) if you install a non-approved plow. I have done 'experts" work for the legal community on both sides of the table. The first thing they want to know is could the plow have contributed. If you look at a 1/2 ton truck with a 8 ft pro plow and no ballast the answer is yes. You see a F250 carrying a 811 blizzard and a 1.8 yard spreader loaded with sand the answer is yes. If you examine any truck with a 9 foot plow, no ballast, a diesel and no plow prep the answer is yes. Now the fgvwr and gvwr may not be exceeded but if the manufacturer prohibits or the fvgwr is more then 62% of the gvwr the goose is cooked. Many do it but don't blame the dealers for not wanting to end up in the courtroom with you. It is kind of like driving drunk, no matter who was in the wrong in a vehicle collision if one of the drivers is drunk he is the guilty party, your installing too much plow on your vehicle will make you willfully negligent and will cost you a bundle.

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

How does not having plow prep make it unsafe?

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Because the Lawyers say so, or would at least use it as a example of the negligent manner in which you chose your equipment. I'm not saying they're right but they only have to convince a jury of your "peers" none of which will have plowed snow if they can help it. Remember this isn't logic, it's our legal system and while criminal charges are unlikely unless it is a really FU situation civil suits are major hassles, time consuming and bank account draining.

We have been involved in lawsuits just because we installed the plow that was on the truck when it was in an accident. Even though the driver was found to be not at fault the "victim" (read the one suffering the grievous injury) sued EVERYBODY, plow manufacturer, plow installer, trucks owner, trucks driver and even though we had done EVERYTHING correctly it took depositions, discovery, etc and over two years to be released.

10. goatboy1

goatboy1 Member

follow up on matching plow to truck issue...

The contractor that gives me my plowing work suggested to buy an 8' straight and so I went to a reputable local arctic supplier and told him about my "truck problem".He suggested to go with an 8' polyboard and to install front and rear timbrens (if needed).
    went to the local landfill and weighed my front axle weight which is 4532# , add the plow and undercarriage at 800# and I'm over by 132#.
    Apparently I'm hooped but I have a possible solution....and here it goes...
    I have two trailers ,one 10000# enclosed and one 15000# dump ; in which I could put my plow while traveling from site to site.How do I shlep the plow from truck to trailer you ask?
    Also in the trailer is my Bobcat MT52 plus GP bucket and snow plow (for sidewalks etc.) which I will us to slide my plow in with my pallet forks. My only question to you guys is , can I possibly leave the darn plow on while going from site to site (given , I have enough ballast to offset the FAWR) ?

11. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Did you have your counterweight in when you weighed it?

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Front timbrens and rear ballast. One reason for ballast is to act as a counterweight on the opposide end of the teterboard. The second reason is additional traction.

If you did not have ballast in place, load it and weigh again.

13. goatboy1

goatboy1 Member

Counter Weight (Ballast)

the truck was empty and I gather that if I had the ballast installed I would then have more FAWR to play with...did not know that because I assumed that (worst case) if I was in a accident they would take the ballast out before they weigh my truck and plow?!

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They will want it in the condition at the time of accident. They will want to know if you're loaded beyond rated capacity, had bad brakes etc. You may have to argue to get it weighed, they will want to use experts and mathematical calculations to get an presumed weight of the vehicle. The only time it will get to this point is if someone is critically injured. the biggest thing you need to worry about is the DOT and the portable scales.

15. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I just bought a 2003 Ford F-150 and I installed a Western PRO Series 7.5 Unimount on it. I didn't even need Timbrens, it seems to work OK. The moral of my story...like Nike says...JUST DO IT!

16. goatboy1

goatboy1 Member

re:Arctic plow on 04 f350 diesel

will have that brand new Arctic HD 96 Poly GA (GA=all galvanized...whoop dee doo) installed by a local Installer that does Medium and heavy duty truck boxes and conversions.Have no doubt they know what they are doing and since the plow incl. the under carriage weighs around 800# they say its within DOT guide lines.They'll install some ballast plates under the box (rear) and also install some timbrens front and rear.Now all we need is some snow . We are staging the winter olympics in this province come february and rumor has it , we need some snow...:)