1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Matching truck and plow...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ManitobaMB, Sep 2, 2011.

1. ManitobaMB

ManitobaMB Junior Member

I've been doing residential drive ways with shovel and snow blower for years and years, sick of it.

The best truck I have for winter, unfortunately, is a 96 ford ranger 4x4. I have to make sure not to go over front axle weight, rear axle weight and gross vehicle weight. I'm not even sure what any of those are for this truck.

If I use this truck, I don't even think a light snow way plow is made for this model, at least it doesn't show up on their website. My choice seems to be some very light plow for the front and instead of ballast have a daniels pull plow on the back. To those in the know does this sound feasible and any suggestions?

I can't afford to buy big truck with V plows etc but I may be able to swing a 4x4 1/2, is there a recommended plow set up for a half ton that won't mess with the axle weights?

Very strict in my city about weight for some reason.. or so I've heard. I'd like to make the jump to plowing so I could increase my income this winter
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

You can go on to any manufacturers web site and put in your truck information. Once it has the info on your truck, it will tell you what plow are recomended for it.
  3. ManitobaMB

ManitobaMB Junior Member

None of them seem to have 96 Rangers.
  4. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

I run a 22 series predator on my ranger which is a 96. You should be fine with a light weight poly plow. I would not go and put on an 8' western! the front ends are stout. My truck had 262k miles on the original drivetrain components. This past feb I I went thru the entire drivetrain, including the clutch. You can buy the 2" leveling kit on ebay for $60 to raise the front end if your saggy.
  5. ManitobaMB

ManitobaMB Junior Member

I've been reading past posts from people with old rangers, they say it looks the same underneath as newer models. I should actually phone a snow-way dealer I suppose.

How do you find plowing with your truck? I have a 96 ranger 4x4 with 4.0 litre XLT and I really want the snow way series because of down pressure and was hoping to add a pull plow with down pressure as well.

Btw, how much did the drive train cost and did you upgrade the tranny at all? (my truck is automatic)

Thanks for the post.
  6. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

I love plowing with it. Mine too is a 4x4 4.0. The 4.0 is a bullet proof motor. 400lbs of block in the back and its like a tank. Tires help alot, BFG AT's. I have a manual. 262k on oem clutch with 2 years of plowing isnt bad. I used an oem clutch with a HD pressure plate. I am leary of the autos for plowing. You should have the A4LD trans as the 5spd auto didnt come out till 97. Its a lot more reliable for this type of work than the 5spd auto.

The frames are not the same. In 98 they went to the IFS suspension and a 3" wider frame. Sno-way sells the 26 I believe and have it advertised on a jeep liberty. Should work on a ranger no problem. You may have trouble finding a mount tho.

It cost me around $400 in parts, did the work myself in a marathon one weekend. upper/lower ball joints, wheel bearings, Inner axle bearings. U-joints (3), U-joints in both driveshafts, Tie-rods, Dropped the diffs and installed new gears (had so no cost) Dropped tranny new slave, clutch and PP.

More than likely, your U-joints are shot if they have not been replaced. The inner axle u-joint is a PITA. The front diff needs to be dropped to change it.