1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

matching ignition and door locks

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cutntrim, Dec 7, 2001.

1. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

Going through the fall-to-winter storage unit and truck shuffle got me thinking. Wouldn't it be convenient if all three trucks used the same key for their door locks and ignitions? Security concerns aside, it would save a lot of hassle when switching from one truck to another as we often do. If we ran three identical trucks with identical plow setups we wouldn't switch, but that's not the case.

Anyone know how feasible or expensive this would be?
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I know I am a ford guy. However all my trucks are Keyed the same. Cost a little extra cash, but makes things easier.

3. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

usually your local dealer, or someone who does auto locks will have a kit to rekey locks. its a pretty easy job, the lock comes apart and new tumblers are put in the lock cylinder. the locks are pretty easily removed from the doors, you can save some $$ doing that part yourself or any body shop can do it. the ignition switch is a little more complex, it usually involves removing the steering wheel. spending a few $$ to have the locks rekeyed sounds like a good timesaver for your situation.
  4. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

I called a GM dealer about the locks and they can re-key the doors but not the ignition. So, I guess I'll have to live with the key shuffle afterall. Not worth it to just do the doors.

Oh well, it was a good idea anyhow.
  5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

It is called fleeting. Or at least I have heard that term. I was pretty sure Chevy could do it. I have done it to the Fords. Makes it very easy for me to move the trucks and my drivers only need one key not a whole chain.