1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

masuring snow depth/ HELP

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnkale, Feb 21, 2010.

1. lawnkale

lawnkale Senior Member
    from Indiana

How can i prove to a customer how much snow fell. THey went to accuraweather and it claims only 3 inches. I measured over 10. I printed the front page of local paper with the headlines that most of region received 8-10" of snow. I have searched other sites with no luck. Some of sites measure precipition but not snow fall. We all know that can be a big difference with moisture of snow.

Please help...any suggestion

2. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I use the NWS official reports for the closest location if a customer has a question. thus far not a soul has complained(knock on wood) this winter about any of the bills that have gone out and I have to look at totals for 4 different towns with a wide total spread.

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

A ruler then take a pic with time stamP, NOAA has a good page, or knock on that clients door and measure right in front of them. Or just charge one price

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

anytime the amount was over 6" (which was the point that I charged a premium) I would pull into the lot, stick a tape measure into the snow and snap a photo. That is how you prove it. Period.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=53782

5. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

Get a weathersite like www.weatherworksinc.com they will give you a print out of what happen and who much snow.

6. doubleedge

doubleedge Member
    from ND

It would probably be better, if you needed those pictures in court, that you show the whole ruler instead of submerging it in snow; a good lawyer would say that you cut the tip of the tape measure off to make it seem deeper.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Better off having a flat rate for plowing. Never liked the 2-4 inch thing.

Officially at the Buffalo airport where they take the measurements for the month of Feb we had 6 inches. Unofficially it's closer to 20 inch have fell.

8. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I agree with grandview, in new yok (that's how they pronouce it over there) but GV probaly uses a few yard sticks duct taped together

9. Grn Mtn

I was 0-6 then 6+, how did you cover your but with heavy snows?

10. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

Plow with the storm and charge accordingly. If your on a 2" trigger then more than likely it should never accumulate to more than 6-8" unless you have a large route or something happens.

11. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

does this site work for the Unites States or just NJ???

12. Grn Mtn

my question was for grandview, and I fully understand plowing with the storm, however sometimes even plowing with the storm you still end up getting large amounts. Since they take significantly more time to plow you should have some way of recovering your costs.

13. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

I think the Unites States but not sure it works for us e in allentown pa.

14. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

thks will log in and give it a check!

15. kj330

kj330 Member

i have never done the per inch thing. my prices are 1-10'' is the regular price. if 10'' plus the customer is well aware of it and then add 25% to the storm price

16. grandview

I make it up on the back end of the season. I hope for a few bigger snows then the lots fill in .So after that it takes less time to plow the lots because they get smaller so less time it takes to plow.Besides ,2 inch or 10 inches doesn't bother me.It might cost me money for an extra coffee if we get a lot of snow that day.

17. kj330

kj330 Member

i agree with you GV

18. Grn Mtn

seriously gv, it always takes me longer later in the season because my snow locations are filling up. your customers don't care your filling in parking spots?

the company I work for now does snow removal so they would rather the locations or spots get filled so we can come in and remove it. after 5 years of doing it my way its hard to let go of the everything has to be perfect look.

19. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

Kale, i know the airport takes official measurements and I remember hearing on Indiana 105 that we officially got 10" so maybe they would have an official reading. How dumb could they be not to know that we got 10" didn't they go outside??

20. grandview

I have cheap people they'll park somewhere else before paying for loader work. So I fill up the spots and I don't have to worry about hitting curbs.Don't get me wrong I still do a good job to make as much room as I can.