1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Master bender

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Greenery, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Any suggestions on how to bend this sucker back in shape?
    It needs to be fairly straight to work.
    [​IMG]

2. Greenery

Uhoh!

[​IMG]

I tried rotating the pics but cant figure it out..

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  3. Greenery

4. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

is it just the mounting tabs that are bend? How thick are they? If that's the case, get a rosebud torch on it, heat it up till it's cherry red, then either use a big pipe wrench to grab it and bend it back, or use a sledge hammer. To get it roughly straight, you could check it a long steel bench rule or something that you know is true. And no, you're ****** probably isn't long or straight enough.

5. Greenery

I think its probably 1/2"- 5/8", haven't measured. But good idea. Do you think that will weaken it much?
    And Lol what about my ******?

6. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

I'm sure your ****** is just fine. Lol. As long as you don't get the steel too hot it won't affect its strength. You gotta get past it's "yield" point to change the physical properties. No idea what that temp is for steel off hand but you can look it up. Basically, do t make it "white hot" heat it till it's bright orange and bend it back. Outta be fine. You'll prob def need a rosebud tip to heat that thickness. I usually use my cutting torch to do that kind of stuff to avoid changing things back and forth but the rosebud will work faster and heat it better

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

cant tell what s bent!...maybe its the jack!

8. Greenery

Sorry for my bad pics.. the first one shows it best. The mounting prongs are bent. I'll get a better pic in a bit.

9. Greenery

Oh ook I thought maybe you were suggesting I use it as a sledge hammer. And thanks for the tips

10. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Gotta say. Good job bending it.

11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

How did you bend it?

That second shot of it on the truck it looks really F'ed up.

12. snoworks1

snoworks1 Senior Member

Here is my attempt at bending metal!

DSC04874.JPG

DSC04878.JPG

13. Greenery

Pin fell out on one side. I will be using bolts and nyloc nuts instead of the spring retainer pin thingy from now on.

Im not sure if the wing caught some grass or what but it did have a very full load of snow when it bent.

14. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Ah, the things the pull plow salesman never tells you about

15. Greenery

As in, immedietly throw away the retention pins we provide and use something less likely to fail?

16. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

Id heat it up with it attached to the truck then try to push it back over with a skid steer. Leaving it attached will keep the mounting points close to where the need to be.

17. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Hmm, I'd have to say that its probably better to NOT ram the truck with a skid steer.

OP should just use proper measuring equipment and proper heat and a BFH.

18. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Why would you ram it? Just constant easy pressure with the skid. Same principle as heating and bending it

19. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

If you don't want to ram it, use the proper tools. NOT a skid steer.

20. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

Id like you guys to show me where i said RAM it with a skidsteer. I never said that and id never do that. I said PUSH, it is possible to push mounting points back to their original location once the metal is heated up. Ive done this before and I know it works. Have a nice day.......