1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Massachusetts plow headgear laws.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Sharpshooter77, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Hello everyone I wanted to know if anyone knew if there are any laws in massachusetts that say you can't have your plow headgear on in the off seaon months. I asking this because I was told yesterday by a friend that you can't drive around with the headgear on in the off plow months. I have never had any trouble with police, or getting pulled over for it. Also my insurance agent said that he had never heard of that law. I have always had the old style fisher plow mount on my truck, and my truck is also my daily driver. I hopeing that this law is not true because it would be a PITA to take it off.

2. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Here is the law:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-19k.htm

Here is the part that states who is exempt which may or may not apply to you:

This section shall not apply to hitching mechanisms which are permanently affixed through welding or other means, before the effective date of this section. However, it shall be unlawful, and punishable by the fines and revocations, for any person to permanently affix through welding or other means a hitching mechanism governed under this section after the effective date of this section.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  3. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

Dose this mean that if you have a Fisher speedcast that dose not come off its ok but you cant leave the head gear from a minute mount on and drive around with it like that?

4. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Take it off boys....

Between May 15 and October 15 of each year, any vehicle with a gross weight of less than 26,000 pounds which is equipped with a plow shall be required to have removed the plow and hitching mechanism used with the plow. Vehicles equipped with an apparatus that allows the hitching mechanism to be folded flat leaving no protruding surfaces, shall only be required to have the plow itself removed; if the hitching mechanism is in the folded flat position while the vehicle is in operation. If snowfall occurs before October 25 or after May 15 vehicles subject to this act may be re-equipped with the plow and any apparatus necessary for clearing snow. Vehicles shall be required to abide by this section within 72 hours of the conclusion of snowfall.
    Any individual found operating a motor vehicle in violation of this section shall be issued a warning for the first offense, shall be fined $250 for the second offense and $500 and revocation of the vehicle’s registration for the third offense.

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

What is the point of this anyway? :dizzy: So pedestrians don't get impailed?

6. Oshkosh

Same reason for lower trucks....

It is the same reason you cannot tell if a truck is a 4x4 anymore....The gov watching out for the little guy...Telling the people who own the big safe vehicles that they cannot be safer than everyone else....I don't know why they don't just put roll cages and harnesses in every car and be done with it!

7. Oshkosh

Same reason for lower trucks....

It is the same reason you cannot tell if a truck is a 4x4 anymore....The gov watching out for the little guy...Telling the people who own the big safe vehicles that they cannot be safer than everyone else....I don't know why they don't just put roll cages and harnesses in every car and be done with it!
    Oh I forgot , and for Massachusetts to find another way to take more money from the hard working men and woman...

8. lieutlamson

lieutlamson Member

I have been to many accidents where guys with plow frames on their trucks have rear ended a car or suv. Those this do a lot of damage and Ive heard in some cases that the plow frame cam in contact with a rear passenger. Regardless, what is it two or four bolts to take the headgear off.

9. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

Didn't someone say on this site that the plowframe hit the side of someone's car window and hit them in the head?

10. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

with the plow headgear on you remove and form of a crumple zone from one of the vehicles. it is also a smaller area to dissapate to crash impact, meaning it does a large amount of damage to the other vehicle.

11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The crumple zone and high impact makes sense, but I don't know. Old Fisher speed casters are my favorite plow. Only ones I ever used. You don't have to get rid of any old units that are still in use right? They are grandfathered in, aren't they?

12. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

It doesn't affect my MM2, but even if I did have an older Fisher with underhood hydraulics, I would put it on in December and take it off in March.

13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I used to take the head gear off for the off season and put a piece of angle iron over the push plates. Four bolts and it was back on.

14. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I see people with the new style MM and western plows and they leave the head gear on and take the plow off whats the point??

15. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Nothing in this section shall apply to state, county or municipally owned or operated vehicles.

And why is this? Not for safety, because they cannot make any money by ticketing their own.

The old "Do as I say, not what I do".

I am pretty sure the Massachusetts will be the first communistic state.

16. Oshkosh

You got it..

Hit the nail on the head...It is all about revenue generation...If they wanted to save lives I think the teen driver issue(Or many others) kills allot more than Fisher plow frames...Our fearless Government at its best...Excuse me my ex fearless state gov at its best.

17. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Afterthought.

You know this law pretty much makes it illegal for a dealer to SELL a plow between those dates. or to bring you plow in for service in the off season, or to test drive a new truck and plow in the fall.

Good forbid if you have to move your home or business. Plows will have to stay there until the appointed time.

Heck I purchased a new plow this past fall and drove it home about 60 miles.

18. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

True. Why would the state not take the lead and show by example? Or is it because town and state employees making $11 an hour are better drivers? Ya right.

Just like the state troopers do when they do 90 down the highway and tailgate everyone in their way.....oh wait that is a bad example.

19. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

New Plows

There is a "date" involved here. I for got when it was. I was told, after the date of this new law, all plow mfg's had to make the head gears removable. You can't take an old head gear and plow to transfer to a newer truck.

20. Oshkosh