1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MASS / SO. NH -- Storm Watch / Updates

Discussion in 'Weather' started by mike33087, Feb 12, 2007.

1. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

Okay i think this might make it easier if we break it down to certain areas so we only need to look at one area to get our weather fix ... i dunno maybe its just my OCD!

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT...

THIS WATCH INCLUDES NORTHERN CONNECTICUT...NORTHWEST RHODE ISLAND... MASSACHUSETTS FROM THE EAST SLOPES OF THE BERKSHIRES TO THE ROUTE 128 CORRIDOR INCLUDING BOSTON...AND SOUTHWEST NEW HAMPSHIRE.

SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN TUESDAY EVENING IN THE CONNECTICUT VALLEY AND SPREAD TO THE EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS COAST BY MIDNIGHT. THE SNOW SHOULD QUICKLY BECOME HEAVY BY DAYBREAK WEDNESDAY. THIS WILL HAVE A SIGNIFICANT IMPACT ON THE WEDNESDAY MORNING RUSH HOUR. IN FACT...SNOW MAY BE FALLING AT 1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING.

HOWEVER...WARMER MID LEVEL AIR MOVING INTO THE REGION WILL CAUSE THE SNOW TO CHANGE TO SLEET FROM A BOSTON...TO WORCESTER...TO A SPRINGFIELD MASSACHUSETTS LINE BY AROUND NOON ON WEDNESDAY. THE PRECIPITATION SHOULD CHANGE TO PLAIN RAIN FOR A TIME ON THE IMMEDIATE EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS COAST.

MEANWHILE...WARMER AIR ALOFT SHOULD CONTINUE TO CHANGE THE SNOW TO SLEET FROM SOUTH TO NORTH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. WE EXPECT THE SLEET LINE TO MAKE IT INTO AREAS ALONG AND SOUTHEAST OF A MANCHESTER NEW HAMPSHIRE TO ORANGE MASSACHUSETTS LINE. NORTHWEST OF THIS LINE...THE PRECIPITATION MAY REMAIN IN THE FORM OF ALL SNOW.

COLDER AIR AT THE SURFACE WILL MOVE BACK INTO THE REGION LATE WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON OR EVENING AS WINDS TURN NORTH. THIS WILL CAUSE ANY AREAS THAT CHANGE TO RAIN ALONG THE COAST...TO CHANGE TO SLEET OR FREEZING RAIN. THIS INCLUDES THE BOSTON METROPOLITAN AREA...WHERE THERE MAY BE A FLASH FREEZE AS TEMPERATURES DROP QUICKLY BELOW FREEZING CREATING HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS. THE SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN MAY CHANGE BACK TO ALL SNOW WEDNESDAY NIGHT BEFORE ALL THE PRECIPITATION ENDS. THERE MAY BE SOME ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE SYSTEM BUT THIS IS SOMEWHAT UNCERTAIN.

TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS ARE PROJECTED TO BE HIGHEST ACROSS FAR NORTHWEST MASSACHUSETTS AND SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE. THIS INCLUDES THE EAST SLOPES OF THE BERKSHIRES AND MONADNOCKS...WHERE 8 TO 15 INCHES OF SNOW IS POSSIBLE. TOTALS OF 5 TO 10 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE IN CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST MASSACHUSETTS...WITH 4 TO 7 INCHES OF SNOW ACROSS NORTHERN CONNECTICUT...NORTHWEST RHODE ISLAND AND THE BOSTON METRO AREA BEFORE ANY CHANGE OVER. THERE MAY ALSO BE SOME ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE SYSTEM WEDNESDAY NIGHT...BUT THIS IS STILL UNCERTAIN.

IN ADDITION...WINDS MAY GUST TO BETWEEN 45 AND 50 MPH FOR A TIME WEDNESDAY NIGHT BEHIND THE SYSTEM. THIS WILL CAUSE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AND POOR VISIBILITIES ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE REGION.

KEEP IN MIND THERE IS STILL UNCERTAINTY WITH THE TRACK OF THIS STORM. IF IT ENDS UP BEING FARTHER OFFSHORE...IT WOULD PLACE THE HIGHEST SNOWFALL TOTALS FARTHER TO THE EAST. A TRACK CLOSER TO THE COAST WOULD RESULT IN LOWER SNOWFALL TOTALS AS MORE RAIN AND SLEET WOULD OCCUR.

2. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

hmm

okay since accuweather is mad slow tonight (probably cause of all of us lol) anyone that can get on to the blogs or local forecasts please update here! thanks guys

3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

1 to 100, and I'll give you an update when I'm done plowing. I figure if it snows, I'll just get up & plow til it's done & my stuff is cleaned up. 4-7, 8-12.... sounds good, but it's all the same in the end!

4. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Looks like there is mostly a rain line from Boston Down to Prov. like 2-6. North of 495 looks like 6-12. Then a manchester to springfield like line 12-18+.

5. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

How can an interstate that runs North / South have a North side to it?
    J/K I think I know what you mean.

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

That is what I'm hearing as well. I'm ready for anything.

In Shed1.JPG

7. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I heard anything East of the Worcester ridge is all rain.

OK I lied, just busting your bubble.

8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Haha... well I'm ready for that too. When I say everything, I mean everything.:D I think we are really going to stay all snow. They'll all know more what's going on later tonight and tomorrow morning... I hope.

9. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I love it when they try to guess the rain / snow line. That normally translates into big snow for us here. At least we can get more snow on the sled trails. What was one there is all tore up.

10. JET enterprises

JET enterprises Senior Member

thisisme.. good one a$$ :gunsfiring: hahahah
    first time out.. that looks like alot of snow for you
    good job mike :drinkup:

11. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Sorry. :(

Now for my next trick.

In the next 30 minutes I am going outside and start hooking up plows. Keep an eye on accuweather as I am sure the forcast will change and go out to sea.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  12. ADMSWELDING

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

Getting ready in stoneham

It better snow guys this afternoon i just ripped the front brakes apart in my 350pu they where making noise and upon inspection the pads are thin.Put back together in the morning after they turn my rotors at napa and hook the plows up in the afternoon. Then just wait.:nod: payup

13. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

estimated amounts

as of 17:45
    iws3_430.jpg

iws3_430.jpg

14. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Can you post the old one up? I liked it better when it said 18"+ for me here. :(

15. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

lol

yea no sh!!t me too!!!!!!!!:realmad:

16. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

6-12 is ok for me, got to try to get the plow installed tomorrow. will have a snow day at work for sure.

17. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Christ and I thought I was a procrastinator. :)

Why just not wait until there is snow on the ground? Makes it all the much easier to slide the tools and plow around. :)

18. Plowfast9957

Haha its true. You have to be from Mass to understand that one.

19. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

ummmmmm OK...... What does that location next to my name mean? :) I know down there 495 pretty much runs East / West down there but it is not all like that.

Now if you are talking about that one section of 1/4 mile 128 where you can be going North, South, East and West all at the same time; that is another bowl of wax altogether.

PS I remember them building 495.

20. Plowfast9957

I saw you were from Mass I was just saying that most people would be confused by that. Like where you can be on rt.1 North and 95 South at the same time south of town.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007