1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mass RMV Law about removing plow frames

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowguy01886, Jul 14, 2004.

1. plowguy01886

plowguy01886 Junior Member

Hi Gang,

Anyone from Mass know what law requires me to remove my (HD) plow frame from my vehicle outside of the normal plowing season? For the first time in 7 years of plowing, I was refused an inspection (2 different garages). They both said that I have to pull the frame off between something like April and October, and they can not inspect the vehicle with the frame mounted!

Is this something new that I just haven't heard about?

Thanks!

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

someone sued because they waled into the headgear on a truck its stupid i dont take mine off im in ct

3. cigam

cigam Guest

My uncle has a plow frame on his Dodge and he got his truck's inspection (he's in Massachusetts too)

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

This inspection thing had to be an isolated incident at a particular garage. Every truck that i see that plows drives around with its truckside mount on year round. I literally see at least 150 trucks with mounts everyday and presumeabely they have not been asked to take them off. Many people who plow probley don't own the kinds of tools necessary to unbolt their mounts so that means that they would have to pay a dealer to do it which would make alot of people mad. Also even if you know what your doing it probley takes about a half hour to unbolt the damn thing, no one wants to go through that trouble. I have not been denied a sticker and i just went 2 weeks ago.
    *Iam referring to "new style" plow mounts not old conventional plow frames. Iam sure everyone knew that

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

6. cja1987

after reading the link that mick so nicely provided for us i agree with the law 100%, Conventional mounts are ugly and have no place on pickup trucks that are driven daily, todays style mounts came out fifteen+ years ago

7. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Personally I like how the old style mounts look. While our older truck is not driven daily it does run most of the summer and we keep the frame on it.

Come fall the leaf vac hangs off of it.

8. '76cj5

'76cj5 Member

It doesn't sound like the whole frame hase to come off just the arm and hudralic lift.

2 bolts and 5 electrical connections and all that comes off in 10 min.

9. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

the article also states that vehincles that had the equipment installed before the effective date of the law would be exempt. From that I assume that my 1986 truck that's been equiped since day one, would not be required to have it removed?

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

From the article - "...the law doesn't apply to hitching mechanisms that were permanently affixed to the vehicle before the effective date of the law"

The key is "permanently affixed".

11. cja1987

I know they said the law excluded large trucks over 26,000 LBS which is good since it would be very hard to remove all the mounts for wing(s) in the summer months. It seems (someone tell me more if you know) that on the new dump trucks that you see, the headgear (hydraulic components, lift cylinder) can easily be removed from the front of the vehicle wish i had some pics but you see two rows of holes one higher up on the front of the vehicle than the other making 90 degree angles with the grill. You can tell these trucks plow by the undercarriage mounts. The setup is hard to explain but maybe someone will know what i mean. Its not as complicated as i make it sound. I think more stipulations should be put in place for people who have legitiment use for plow mounts in the off season. In retrospect i think it is a good law that will make the fronts of trucks look much nicer IMO. There is really no need as everyone found out to have a big plow mount on a personal pick up truck.

12. Flipper

from CT

A lot of the bigger trucks need to have the headgear removable or at least tilt forward just for maintenance. The hoods on these bigger trucks tilt forward with the grill.

13. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I read somewhere a while back that the idea behind the headgear staying with the plow was for safety reasons. It does make sense. I had an "old style" plow on my Bronco II. I got rear ended and pushed into the car ahead of me. The arm on my plow headgear pierced the trunk on the Cadillac I hit. It was plow season so I had the pump mounted. I always removed the pump in the off season. I like the way my trucks looked with the headgear on but I have to admit, it could be deadly in a crash.

14. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I would like to know what the definition of perminently affixed is, since my gear is bolted and welded. This seems to be a vague area. My truck is out everyday, I am behind cops, pass cops, park next to them and none have said or done a thing.

:confused:

15. cja1987

I think it means if its bolted than it should come off, on a fisher i think the upper gear is bolted (only?) and not welded to the lower gear. I think the lower gear is bolted and welded to the frame of the truck. I see a few people who remove (unbolt?) the upper gear from the lower gear. Iam with bgnras on the cop situation, you still see tons of people driving around with headgear, the law was passsed in june and i guess nobody has really heard about it yet. Not many on this site knew about it and we pay attention to plow related info much more than the cops do.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2004
  16. Flipper

from CT

No plow manufacturer welds anypart of their frame to the truck and to mt knowledge, never has. You need to have the "give" of a bolted assembly.

I think they want the modern "minute mount" parts to come off. Remember the original Diamond/Meyer quick mount system let you remove the plow and leave the headgear. The ides is to provide safety in an accident and allow the sensor to properly trigger the airbag.

Older style permanent mounts would be exempt.

17. cja1987

I have seen fisher conventional mounts removed like this, yellow (upper gear) comes off, red (lower gear) stays, blue is where it unbolts.

headgear.jpg

18. Flipper

from CT

Yes but I would think that is considered permanent mount. You could take the old Western fram off as well, just had to take off the bumper first. I think the law addresses the "quick mounts" only. Not everyone has the means to take the older styles off. Especially with the belt drive hydros. Are you just going to leave an open lift cylinder hose hanging off the front of the truck?

I used to unbolt those mounts every year. Even the lower part.

19. cja1987

Iam sure this law was made with out any input from plowers or anyone who knew as much as people on this site do about plows. It is a tall order to have everyone remove their conventional mounts but they way i interpert this is that unless its inpossible to remove the liftarm and cylinder then they want it removed. I don't think enough people leave their minuite mount or other easily removeable headgear on all summer for them to make a law exclusively for that. If its a minuite mount or other quick mount who would be dumb enough to leave it on when you don't need it and make it vulnerable to damage in an accident. The hydraulic problem is easily solved using hydraulic quick disconnects, which is going to be a PITA for people to have to get them. Last april me and a friend converted a conventional mount fisher with underhood belt driven hydraulics to a minuite mount with belt driven hydraulics. We used quick disconnects. The old mount was completely removed, we got a truckside minuite mount and the mount itself from a fisher dealer, installed the truckside mount and that was it. The only thing that stayed the same was the plow, A-frame, and hydraulics (under hood). Kept the same lights too. I would recommend this conversion if you so desire it was easy and did not cost as much as getting a brand new plow. That said nobody really wants to go through that especially if they are used to and don't mind the headgear being on the front of the truck.

20. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I think most of missed the point where it stated that the law only applied to vehicles manufactured after the law took effect. Therefore unless plow manufacturers go back to conventional mounts nobody has to worry unless they install a heavyweight plow (26000 gvw &up ) on a chassis under 26000 gvw.Most of the big truck plow mounts still have the lift arm and mechanism on them although on my 04 pete they did put a quickdisconect on the lift hose . The hood by the way was modified so the grill stays with the radiator not on the hood.