1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mass hiway subcontractors

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by skysthelimit, Jan 4, 2011.

1. skysthelimit

skysthelimit Junior Member

Hi,

I am looking for those of us that have been bumped from the line up, While I have information of a few in my pit..after many of us spent $$ upgrading our equipment and meeting the posted requirements...only to find out and not until durning the " Blizard of 2010" we have been bumped off the line up:realmad:

2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Did they give you a reason?

Any reasons given for any of the guys being bumped?

3. matteo30

matteo30 Member

Could you elaborate a little more. I was under the assumption that you were on a rotation and they would rotate you between the combo units with the same upgrades.

4. EXCAVATE49

EXCAVATE49 Member

Shame on you for thinking they would actually do what they said

5. skysthelimit

Late August they said they were looking for 11k GVW & above, 9' + blades..they got so many sign ups 26k GVW +..they are playing with many of us smaller trucks and making up paper work issue excuses. They have every right to use what they want..but they should not send out specs then decide to go with larger units and never notify us before rig inspections and so on..at least we could look for other work in late Oct.
    After submitting all paper work Sept. 4 and getting final truck inspection / hired equipment lables on Oct 20. then Dec 27 during the first storm, is no time to find out. The only rotating they are doing is with their hand.
    Simple material breech..

6. EXCAVATE49

EXCAVATE49 Member

They are playing with us ,no one will give you a straight answer all the pit level and area level people are scared to death to make a decision on anything for fear of getting s--tcanned it is really starting to show like in the paper or on the news they always blame the weather guys or the amount of traffic or something to try and cover up the fact they will knock you off and then call you back 2hrs. Later 90% of these state snow and ice so-called experts couldn't plow a driveway

7. Oshkosh

Promises broken

Promises broken and Mass Highway go hand and hand.
    I'd be willing to bet there arnt more than a handful making the decissions that have ever been behind the wheel of a plow truck much less for a full storm.Desk Jockeys,Political appointees with college degrees is all they will hire now..
    I was promised a position if I purchased a 6 wheeler with an 8yrd spreader back in 1991,short version I worked that truck for a local city for two years before the pit boss left (was replaced) and I finally got signed(93).
    MHD asked me to put together a calcium tanker back in 98 as a test and wouldnt promise me anything more than the season with it.I was like you want me to spend $10,000++ out of pocket on a maybe? No thank you...I lost on that one, but snow is difficult enough without them jacking you around.
    I have many stories/examples about upper management that didn't have a clue during a storm..I ended up with an excellent crew,Foreman,asst etc for ten seasons but from Arlington up they where clueless.

8. EXCAVATE49

EXCAVATE49 Member

Is everybody else so happy with this situation they are not commenting or is it the fear and intimidation factor?

9. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Sounds like the media needs this brought to their attention. But like you said, they will blame it on everything but their decision.

10. skysthelimit

In late Aug, 2010 they sent out requirements for the upcoming season, aside from new tri axle sanding equipment requirements, they decided that the minimum equipment size was to be 11kGWV w/ 9' blade. While some 3/4 tn guys upsized to a new truck..in my case I already have a 3500 4x4 11.5k GVW..I only had a 8.5 blade so I bought a new 9' MM2 set up exclusively do to this new requirement.
    I submitted all my paper work Sept,4 ..2 days before they e mailed it out (got it off their site) to everyone, signed agreements, equipment to be used and so on, pictures front and back of truck & registration. Called the director sept 9 to be sure they got everything..I got the "Ok". went for safety & truck inspection on Oct 20 as required..again great "see ya when it snows" Got a call end of Nov. we don't know what we did with the pic's & reg..so I sent in new copy's and followed up to be sure they got them..Ok we have them. First snow Dec 27/28 waiting to be called out, as some others..next day call Worcester to see what happened..oh you did not have your paper work complete we were missing the Pic's & reg..So I am bumped..They used this story on several of us. I have a mailing receipt for Sept4, and even if what they were saying was true..90+ days after you think everything is all set, then to find all this out at the end of Dec. is weak even for state employee's. So to date I have lost about $10k and have a truck with a nice new MM2 set up that sits in my driveway with out any work to do. At least if they said something earlier like during the inspection in Oct. "we cant do the safety & vehicle inspection..we don't have all your paper work and now its to late. At least we would have had a slim chance to find work and MITIGATE OUR LOSSES. It seems that many are being quiet in hopes of something changing..Or not to ruffle feathers for next year. They picked the wrong dog to kick.. I set up a sweet streaming video web dash cam in the truck..may spend my time streaming video to local news room...See how these civil engineers spend there time. Instead of sleeping all night while on double time $$ while the dogs are out plowing, they should spend their time to figure how to design a bridge and expansion joints that don't replicate the feel of driving over railroad tracks..We don't need welcome to Massachusetts signs..just wait for the first bridge..everyone will know where they are. Sorry for the long post.:sleeping:

11. EXCAVATE49

EXCAVATE49 Member

You must not be greasing the right people

12. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

x2. I lived in Mass for 25 years. I didn't plow then, but I learned alot in those years and one thing I learned is that city lives on money. If your not shaking the right hands you don't exist end of story.

So I moved.

13. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I am very tired of being a masshole!

14. Oshkosh

The Grass ISNT Always Greener

Trust me on this one ,packing up and just moving isnt always the answer.
    As messed up as things where down in Ma, NH is atleast ten years behind the times in wages and it cost more to live up here...
    After five years in NH I will be heading back south, atleast I can make a living and not have to work three jobs as they do up here..A great place to vacation, a very difficult place to make a living.

15. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

So would you guys not recommend me buying a ten wheeler (no sander for now) and putting it on the state in next 2 or 3 years?

16. Oshkosh

Only if

From personal experience The only truck that made me consistant money (For Real) was my tri-axle, working year round.
    It is very difficult to make decent money with a seasonal truck ,with registration and insurance cost to re coupe in sometimes a very short season.
    It is easy to look at a good season such as the one you guys are in right now but ask yourself how would a 50 hour season effect you? Been there, done that,mother nature can be a fickle woman...lol

17. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

Haha I understand what your saying. However I'm not looking to start a trucking company, the business I am in is year round work this is just spare money for me, as strange as that sounds. I just don't want to invest all this money in a seasonal truck to get screwed over by MassDot because they make new regulations, or decide they don't want contractors or something stupid like that. I guess it's just something I'll have to think about.

18. mike13

mike13 Member
    from mass

from what ive been hearing from dot workers they want to start using only 3 10wheelers with wings running down the highways and start cutting back on the 350 450 550 trucks

19. Oshkosh

Dont laugh, we did the upper end of 128 clear shoulder to shoulder with three large 2 x10's. 1 with wing and an Oshkosh with wing running the shoulder and pushing back.

20. EXCAVATE49

EXCAVATE49 Member

A big no, way to risky as far as i'm concerned