1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mass Highway

Discussion in 'Employment' started by chcav1218, Oct 16, 2008.

1. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I just saw a sign on 128/95 saying that Mass Highway is looking for big a**plow trucks, 26K GVW and over. the number is 617 973 7740

2. SNOWANDICEMAN

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

Waiting and Waiting

I plowed for mass highway for 20years and had to wait every year for the money. They give you the hours, but you have to wait sometimes until July for your money. Also the salt does a number on your truck. The way the state is in now, people are having second thoughts on plowing for the state,because they know they will be waiting and waiting for there money.:dizzy:

3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

yeh thats what I've been hearing. I though some people would be interested, but I'm sticking with my friveways and parking lot.

4. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Dmoney Patrick our wonderful Gov. was trying to push thru something that would pay faster...I forget what it was or how it was going to work...Something about telling everyone to stop playing dumb with the winter budget and auto pass the extra spending when they need it instead of making the plow guys wait (kinda would have been cool)...That Im sure is floating in the charles right now becuase of all the crazy budget cuts sitting on the mayors desk tonight.

5. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

What do they do when its time to go out and plow/sand? Do they call you?

6. SNOWANDICEMAN

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

They call you up and say come on in.
    Snowandiceman

7. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

Okay, also do you park your equipment at the depot or at the location of your business and drive to the depot when your called?

8. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

i think u have the option of doing either because I've driven by the depot and seen people's equipment parked there. I doubt you can get that for free though.

9. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

What seems the be the average pay for a CDL Plow/Sander operator in Mass?

10. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Says here in the Mass Highway manual: Base rate for a 26k vehicle is $86 per hour.......

11. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

I was actually wondering how much the average pay is if you own the truck and hire a driver?

12. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Pay has nothing to do with who the driver is. Pay goes by GVW, Plow Size, Sander/Tank size etc.....Driver makes no difference, as long as he shows up.

13. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

Yes I know that but, I was wondering if I was to pay some one to drive what do most people pay drivers. I know how the state pays, I have looked at the packet they have on the web.

14. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

What kind of unit are you putting him in? It probably takes $20 an hour to get someone to show up all the time and all.....

15. 77gmcserria

77gmcserria Member
    from N/A

A CDL trucks with sanders and plows one has a wing plow.