1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mass. Highway Sanding???

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by DeereFarmer, Jan 3, 2006.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I was wondering if anyone around here notcied that they were using something different on the Mass. highways like Route 2? It looked like they were using more of a molasses mixture. I know they use that stuff in Maine, but I have never seen it used down here. Just thought it was an interesting question!!:redbounce
  2. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

I believe that is called IBM (Ice Ban Magic). It is a commercial brewing byproduct that is still in experimental use I think.
  3. Sparky925

Sparky925 Member
    from Mass

What part of Rte 2 is it it goes from the Boston area to North Adams. Is this in a low salt are of Rte 2 ? I know that they have a few of them.
    Salt can be many different colors I have seen brown,gray,pink,blue, white, bright white (solar) colored salt.
  4. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

Its the waste byproduct of beer brewing. like a brownish liquid, but doesnt freeze, and does wonders on ice. They are also using it in some city applications. Ive seen it in the lowell, and danvers areas

BOMBER Member

Holy Cow, sounds like brew wash aka sodium hydroxide, if you thought salt was corrosive, this stuff makes salt look like skin cream!
    Sodium hydroxide is a concentrate derived from sea water through an electrolysis process. :dizzy:
  6. DeereFarmer

Yeah, I think that might have been what is was. It was in the Leominster/ Fitchburg area. I don't know, I might been seeing things. I know that they do use stuff like that up in Maine!
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I hope it's NOT sodium Hydroxide- that is sold as Draino under some brands! Draino itself is Potassium Hydroxide just to give some idea of the corrosiveness!
  8. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

Taken from the "Campus Cronicle" at UMASS Amherst..........."We will continue to experiment with an innovative, environmentally safe de-icing agent called Ice Ban Magic (now called Ice B'Gone). The main ingredient in Ice B'Gone is Ice Ban, a byproduct of distilling plants in the Midwest, which manufacture beer, other alcoholic beverages, and ethanol. It consists mainly of carbohydrates, protein, fat, and sugar, and is also used as a cattle feed substitute that looks and smells like molasses. Ice B'Gone, the product UMass Amherst is using, is a mixture of Ice Ban and magnesium chloride."
  9. Flask

Flask Junior Member

Wasting beer is alcohol abuse!!!!
  10. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

looks like it does the trick, but man does it make a mess on my silver paint :\, but does wash away easy when it rains
  11. SNHSERV05

SNHSERV05 Junior Member

route 2 de-icer

it is the brine from the brewery, alot comes from the bud plant, and it works, especially when mixed with salt....................tewksbury,lowell,danvers,fitchburg,some nh hi-ways on experiment with it,
  12. DeereFarmer

I have the same problem. My silver truck is brown by the time I get home. I drive about 50 miles a day on Route 2, so it adds up. Looks to do the job very well. Hey, if it less corrosive than I do not mind spraying my truck down!
  13. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

Flask------ Get up off the ground your not going to get a buzz from licking the ground ,only gwt ran over. lol
  14. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

magic is less corrosive than distilled water
    it also lowers the working temperature of salt to well below zero (where straight salt cuts out @ 15*)