1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mass Highway Plow Fraud

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by evenpar4, Mar 11, 2005.

1. evenpar4

evenpar4 Junior Member

2. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

i agree

those guys definitly give us sub contracted plowers a bad rep for doing things like that. I dont plow for the state but i plow for my town and we dont use the GPS systems but they are pretty strict about sticking to your assigned route, they do have supervisors that cruise around and check to make sure your not missing any streets but some day it will probably come down to the GPS.

3. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

No matter what, there is always some clown out there who wants to run a scam instead of simply doing what they're paid to do.
    Of course, when you live in a State where the former and long-time Senate President William Bulger (aka 'the Corrupt Midget) made a career for himself, his family, and all his buddies of becoming rich by drinking from the public trough, and was rewarded for his years of screwing the general public with a nice retirement "golden handshake" to the tune of around 150 grand a year, you can't blame others for trying to get their "cut". It was no surprise to me that these guy's were outraged about the GPS thing, now they have to plow for the State on the State's time instead of double-dipping and doing their side jobs at the same time.
    The only sad thing is that the very people who put the bird on the plow guys are probably as guilty or even more guilty of public fraud than they are. It's just that when you're on the top, you make the sh!t roll downhill onto someone else so it doesn't stick to you. Yep, just like when they opened the "HOV" lane for 3 or more occupants commuting into Boston it was only a matter of time before some bozo got bagged by the State cops with a dummy rigged up from a basketball and a 5 gallon bucket to make it look like he had 3 people in his van.
    And, until we change the penalties for virtually all crimes to death sentences which are carried out right away instead of 18 years after the guilty verdict is read, it'll never stop.

4. sslc

sslc Junior Member
    from MA

What do you guys think the punishment is for this?

5. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

Is he one of the guys that is contracted with a pickup and 8' plow lol?

6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS.....There was a thread posted here last year that a place in
    Canada was going to require a GPS system in plow sub contactors
    trucks to be sure they were doing the required work...................geo

7. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

I don't agree with what this guy did but...
    Did'nt I read a couple of times over the past couple of years that these folks who plow for the state wait 6-10 months to get paid? But you have to pay fuel and a driver. What the hell does the state expect? Try not paying your state tax's for 6 months in this state. Another but.. Nobody has to contract with the state either.

Roy

8. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

It takes a while for them to get paid, but they get paid very well usually to the tune of about $100 an hour. They get paid for every second they are out. As soon as the phone call comes in they are on the clock. Unfortunately, the budget is handled by morons (aka politicians) who always underfund snow removal, it happens everywhere. It would be nice if they could get paid right away, they should get paid right away but it depends on state and federal funding and when it gets approved and comes in. The vast majority of state contractors do an excellent job, the state roads in my town are always in great shape. That guy was wrong, Iam sure he justifies this by the fact that he is forced to carry a GPS and gets paid late but it is still wrong. If you don't like the states policies don't work for them. As far as the GPS goes, i don't think problems were rampant with state contractors being dishonest before they had to carry them. As I said rarely do I ever see a state road that has not been touched by a plow. I really think that most state plow guys do a good job. That being said I don't know why some of them are bitching about the GPS, if your not doing anything wrong then what do you have to worry about?

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

A few weeks ago our local news reported a garbageman was taking the truck home, parking it, taking his pickup and plow out, plowing for himself and commercially, then returning home and picking up the garbage truck and then charging OVERTIME to the city because he couldn't get it all done in time. :rolleyes:

They caught him with GPS too.

10. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

The company I sub for sometimes sends one of their company trucks to plow my route with me, he'll always take off to "get something to eat" and not return till I've already finished the route. The trucks have no trackers installed in the winter, but in the summer all the fertilizer and irrigation trucks get trackers. I know they have caught a few druggies parked in front of cr**k houses in company trucks in the summer. The way I see it is if people are doing their job then they have nothing to fear when the bossman puts a tracker in their truck. :nono: