1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mass Highway guys

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by black99, Dec 20, 2008.

1. black99

black99 Junior Member

More of a curiosity post because based off numbers this seems wrong. I was told by several that an 04 f250 5.4L super cab, short box, 8 foot blade can't plow mass highway contracts. Never payed any attention to the fleets on the roads and I've heard it from so many people today that I figured I'd ask. All I can seem to find via their site is a statement that only 3/4 tons trucks will do for picks-ups. "Weights: gross vehicle weight rating (lbs) 8,800, curb weight (lbs) 5,601, gross trailer weight braked (lbs) 7,500 and max payload (lbs) 3,195." based off those numbers the truck mentioned above is beyond 3/4 ton capacity (3,195lbs). Am I missing something? So is what I hear complete rumor or am I and idiot for asking this question? P.S. from the threads I've browsed this is an awesome site and I'm glad I joined

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. Tacr2man

Tacr2man Member
    from England

3/4 ton is 1680lbs ? The truck mentioned 8800 gross 5601 gives a 1.43 ton payload
    How do you rate trucks in US ? as I would call the truck mentioned a 1 1/2 tonner :confused:

3. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Black,
    I have also heard that only 1 tons an larger can plow, however I am almost positive my nighbor has a F250 and not an F350 either way its only a single wheel I also saw other 3/4 ton trucks plwoing yesterday. What i want to know is how to I get signed up ?
    Lou

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

in the US market the ratings are much more generic these days. Most trucks for a given size are actually heavier duty.In general 1500 series half tons trucks will now haul more like 3/4 ton, 3/4 ton trucks more like 1 ton, and 1 ton series can haul up to 4 ton.

5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

3/4 ( 2500) can haul more like 2 tons.... lol;) got the weight ticket to prove it

6. hangnail

hangnail Junior Member

f350 single wheels get the same rate as a f250. even thought the 350 is higher, the state pays it as a 3/4 ton

7. black99

black99 Junior Member

so what your saying is that it is in fact a myth/rumor that my f250 could not plow state? I know our 1/2 ton / 3/4 ton etc ratings are generic its just after hearing so many people say "oh i heard can't..." and "you know they won't hire..." all pertaining to f250's plowing mass highway contracts i wanted to ask on here since i dont kno any guys who do plow for them

8. I reviewed MassHighway requirements a few months ago and my F-250 fit the standards they were looking for. I thought our size truck would just be used for on/off ramps or other small stuff like that, but last night I saw two 3/4 tons leading a parade of four more ten-wheelers on 139 in Pembroke. I could get used to that kind of work... Slow and steady.

9. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

I have plowed for the state as a sub in a tri axle for a few years. Never saw anything less than a 2 1/2 ton in the yard though. Might be different with smaller roads like 20 as opposed to the pike. Could also be a new policy this year not really sure. I do know one thing you have to wait a long time to get paid and you have all those expenses up front. Be better off plowing for the city or towns unless you have a substantial amount of money and credit to put up all the up front costs. Well this year I'm using my own truck and plow doing residential and small commercial accounts. I'll put up a post at the end of the season letting everyone know which is really best money and time wise.

10. black99

black99 Junior Member

No faith in the new additions to the budget? Even with the 5million increase in budget i still foresee people waiting on checks that seem to never come. Town/City pay on time? No real experience Ive only subbed on small lots etc....

11. black99

black99 Junior Member

Well i mean ive seen f350s leading the parades but to date i still have never seen a 250 out there. They are essentially the same truck....both well over 3/4 ton with the f350 being higher obviously. Slow and steady seems like a cake walk but waiting for that check would kill most people.

Oh and by the way, city or towns or mass highway rates your blade length, do the wings count as overall length or just the moldboard itself

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  12. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Why the hell do these guys have to be ass to tail on the highway at 30 MPH and not let anyone by? I was right next to one for 5 mins and he wouldnt back off a little to let me pass through on the right. I had to make my own hole. Is it that hard to spread out a little and let traffic keep moving. There was like an inch that they were plowing. What asses...

13. Yeah, I've heard how bad MassHighway is about paying in a reasonable timeframe.

The town I sub for only called me in for six hours this whole weekend so it looks like I'll be looking for somewhere else to sub. I just picked the wrong place to work for.

14. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Been there, done that, seen it a hundred times, never once seen someone driving a reasonable speed that wanted to pass us. Your haste is putting everyone you drive near in danger. From my observations most accidents happen in the first 2" of the storm, seems it takes us that long to remember how to drive in the snow. Remember 4wd only helps you to get going and keep going you still only stop as good as a 2wd. I'll let you in on a little secret too when you weave through a convoy like that and slide sideways because your tires and weight can't handle the windrow you put huge stress on the driver of the tandem or tri axle who now has to worry about wiping out not only you but other vehicles around them too. The highway ain't no parking lot or residential drive it is a totally different animal. Yeah 30 mph might seem slow to you but they where probably putting down salt too which you can't go much faster and still do an effective job.

15. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Typical know it all municipal plow guy. Knows it all and everyone else is a moron....

16. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

I never said I know it all just let him know what its like on the other side. Also I'm not a municipal guy at all just an A**h*** with a class A that needs to work in the winter. When I did plow for the highway it was in someone else's truck and I got paid an hourly rate. I guess the only know it all here is you then:salute:

17. Brian469

Brian469 Junior Member

I have been told that as of this year, MassHighway will not be taking on any more single rear wheel pickups. They are only taking on one tons with dual rear wheels, and everything else must be bigger. No more pickups of any kind with single rear wheels. Currect contractors are grandfathered in and will be allowed to remain.

18. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Sorry buddy but I'm with Russ130. If anyone should know how dangerous it is to be near working snowplows, it should be the members of this site. When I'm behind the MassHighway guys, I just sit back and enjoy the ride and let them do their job.

19. black99

black99 Junior Member

Theres absolutely NO REASON to cut off a convoy of plows....why rush to drive through deeper snow or unsalted/sanded black ice roads....and plus im pretty sure some A-hole in lets say a civic or small compact car (or any vehicle for that matter )who cuts through a convoy and hits that windrow is going to spin out of control and then potentially cause harm to the men doing their job and/or lets say a family in an SUV just trying to make it home from grandma's house. and this is comming from some one who sub drives parking lots.... just my 2 cents

20. black99

black99 Junior Member

Taking any more single wheel trucks this season? or forever?