1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mass. Equipment Legality

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DaveB., Nov 10, 2004.

1. DaveB.

DaveB. Junior Member

:waving: does anyone know what the laws on plow equip are in massachsetts? I've been told that a permanent mount frame is no longer legal unless the blade is on it. I know that under the hood pumps are no longer permitted or at least thats what I've been told. First year in and need to get these things under control Quikly. thanks for your time DAveB. :confused:
  2. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Hi Dave, welcome to PlowSite.

Here's something that came up on that just the other day that Mick posted. I copied it out and I'll paste it here for you. This should answer your question.

This article is from SNOW BUSINESS magazine:

In late June Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney signed legislation requiring snowplow operators to remove a potentially dangerous hitching mechanism for part of the year, reported the Lowell Sun, Lowell, Mass.

In it’s story the Lowell Sun reported that the bill had been filed by Lowell, Mass., lawmakers every session since 1993, when 27-year-old Deborah Skrekas of Lowell died after a truck affixed with the mechanism but no plow struck her vehicle from the passenger side.

State Sen. Steven C. Panagiotakos, D-Lowell, told the Lowell Sun that snowplow operators should not be allowed to keep the hitching mechanism attached to their truck during the warmer months. The mechanisms are attached at such a height that they can be deadly to a motorist in a standard size car, he said.

The language of the law was included in the fiscal 2005 budget signed by Romney on June 25.

According to the Lowell Sun: “The hitching mechanism is described as the lift cylinder and the lift arm of the plow. Large commercial vehicles and municipalities would be exempt from the law. In addition, the law doesn't apply to hitching mechanisms that were permanently affixed to the vehicle before the effective date of the law. The law would apply only to vehicles under 26,000 pounds, which is intended to affect standard pickup trucks because of their height in relation to other cars. In addition, if it snows between October and May, plow operators would be allowed to re-requip their vehicles for the purposes of plowing, without penalty. The first offense would bring a warning, a second offense would result in a $250 fine, and a third offense would bring a $500 fine and a revocation of the vehicle's registration until it is brought into compliance." Monday, June 28, 2004

I'm not sure about the issue of pumps under the hood. Check with you local plow dealer and if you really aren't sure, check with the RMV.
  3. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

what it means

basically what there saying is off-season(not sure of exact dates),they say you shouldnt be carrying anything that extends beyond the the front of the truck.this is on small trucks,pick ups etc.,large trucks are exempt.during plowing season you "DO NOT" have to remove the head gear,only off-season.
  4. DJL

DJL Senior Member

In NJ some vehicular questions can be answered via the NJDMV website. Does your state have one? If not, there has to be a POC for these types of legal questions.
  5. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

this has come up before. And in the law it states that vehicles there were originally equiped before the law was signed are exempt.
  6. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

I had a hydraulic Diamond I took off a 1988 Ford 3/4 gas and put it on a 1992 Ford 7.3 1 ton diesel. BIG mistake. The diesel turns slower than the gas engine so the plow lift was way slow. That and the install shop said they'd never do another hydraulic install on a diesel. Guess it was a tight difficult install.