1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mass. DPW...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Frozen001, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Sorry but I have to vent....

Well I am on business travel, and had to travel through this current winter stom from central NY to Just outside of Boston. Well I always have said that NY DPW crews sometimes slack off, but the Mass crews are even worse... Now granted I was traveling on the turn pike, but even the NYS Thru way is 200% better during storms. The crews that were out that I saw wher plowing the SHOUDERS of the road instead of the actual road... Nothing like making a 4 hour trip turn into almost 6 hours...

Well hopefully we get the same snow back home so my fill in will make some $$.

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes,
    they are usually very good about plowing all the highways in the state, you can usually find black and wet conditions during storms on the interstates. However, a few storms this year (apparantly this one included) have been major exceptions! I remember state roads being very bad on a few occasions this year, other times they are fine. The big problem here is that they use contractors with dump trucks that are used for other things besides snowfighting in the off season. So they have one little 9' or 10' plow. Go out the the NY throughway and they have big snowfighters with a reverseable plow out front, two big wings on either side and spreaders in the back. Much more effeicent then what we use. The MA pike has a few trucks like NY but not as many as they should. They only open a few lanes during the storms where in ny,me,nh,vt they have nice trucks with wings on them that can do the roads and the shoulders with 2 trucks. Here its usually a dump or two then some 350/3500 pick ups with fishers cleaning up behind them usually with an 8' plow. Small companies plow small sections of highway then its someone elses zone. It should all be done by state vehicles but the cost would prohibit that. Then you have Masshighway, The Turnpike Authority, and other state run and taxpayer funded organizations clashing over everything. All the money the turnpike authority has is going to the "Big Dig" project in Boston.

3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Its bad everwhere not just Mass.This is some of the worst road conditions ive seen all winter in connecticut.I think they were really cought off guard most of the weater stations said the snow wouldnt even stick to the roads because its been so warm out.I went past the state garage at about 10 this morning and they didnt even have the snowplows on.Now we had a flash freeze and its damn near a blizzard outside.

4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, the freezing rain and then heavy snow right after it got ahead of any salt that was on the road. The roads where there is no snow are literally completely black ice.

5. Exciteable

Exciteable Member

You try doing the job...

Love all these people that plow a few parking lots and driveways with their little tiny plows on their four wheel drives that think they know it all...
    Let me tell ya buster, try walking a mile in their shoes before you *****...

Used to have a rule and maybee it applied to the above situation, maybee it didn't...

You have to keep the shoulder clean to keep the "slab" (travelled lanes) clean...ever think that that was why he was on the shoulder ???

Also, when salting, you have to play the wind. Sometimes to get the material on the slab when it's windy, the only way it gets there is to "run the shoulders"

6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I was not bashing they guys who do the work... just making an observation between the two states really... In NY, the roads would have never reached the point they were at so quickly....I mean you could almost tell when you crossed over the state line the difference in road conditions. I understand the need to keep the shoulders clear, but to me you would think they would want to keep the area actually traveled cleared of snow first. I guess it is just a difference in what the crews are used to.

I give those DPW guys total credit... Those guys are out there is some conditions where no one should be.

7. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

I hear what you are saying frozen, and before you jump on me excitable, I work for the Highway dept driving plows. Have travelled thru Mass. numerous times and couldn't beleive the snow removal operations. The first time I saw a pickup with a 8' blade plowing the Mass Pike I just about drove off the road. I have never seen such a hodgepodge of trucks in all my life. Not taking away from anyone that does contract for Mass., but when you are from NY you just take for granted that the State or municipalities will do the snow removal, and it is strange to see private contractors plowing, it just doesn't happen here.

8. dfor

dfor PlowSite.com Veteran

I have to agree with Frozen001 about Mass. roads. RI is a pretty horribly run state, but they do a good job plowing the highways. My wife works in mass, she sees it every snowstorm. Nothing against the actual drivers. It's how the highway dep't is managed.

9. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

highway plowing

In the Province of Ontario the MOT has given out the work to contractors but they must be specificying minimum truck size as they tend to be 25 yd tandems with or without wings. Those with wings are covering shoulder work and those with one way,s are also salting as they blade. Any body doing provincial work jump right in here

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The State used to only use 1 ton pickups for ramp clearing so the big boys could keep the road clear- the smallest they would allow in a road unit was a 2-1/2 ton dump with a spreader (didn't want to wait until july to get paid so my Chevy never made it on with them). Now, aparantly they are useing whatever they can get. Probabily something to do with the new GPS locators required to be carried by all contractors per the contracts (this is the first season with that in the contract) so I suspect many contracts were not renewed- my local city has added 8' plows to many of the supervisor trucks and have them plowing streets this year too.

Liability ins in the city is outragious, many contracts never get signed because of it.

11. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

justme:

the city here will use the pick-up plows for doing parks parking lots or quick cleanup. the highway guys do their own ramps and on a good day will even clean region city roads that they need for turn around space ie a lane to a parking lot that they can turn around in

What you've got sounds a little scary. how much snow do you get?

12. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member

I was traveling on Rt. 495 at 6:00 AM in the Hopkinton/Milford area to get a load of salt .
    One section All Lanes Black ,next only 1/2 a lane black . next all white ,and the change right at a intersection.
    Got a real kick out of seeing a row of 3 or 4 trucks , with ONLY the first one Plowing , the rest are just off the pavement ,and WE PAY FOR THIS.
    Then I pull into My driveway with the Co. F-650 w/ 10 ft. plow , and the Town Guy in a F-250 with 8 ft. plow : doing My street gives Me a Dirty Look. :drinkup:

13. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Bandit, he was jealous!

14. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member

I think He was just wondering if I was going to open the street across from My House Again , Like I did for the Big Dec. Storm , All the Way to the Curb , and clear the 6 Ft. of Snow Covered Road that He Misses. ( Do You think it makes Him Look Bad ? :) ) One Small section of Road Perfect Curb to Curb , :bluebounc
    Bob

15. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

dfor,

What part of RI are you from?

Allagash

16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I'm actually near Bandit I suppose- MA gets a fair amount of snow.

The city here uses the town 3500 class dumps and they always had a couple of pickup plows to do parks, parking lots, city offices, fire dept/police dept, etc. They didn;t use them for street work until this year- they use bigger Freightliners/IH/Kodiak size trucks for street work normlly including contractors. Maybe next year they'll reduce the b.s. for contractors. I remember 2 years ago they had contracts end calander year instead of fiscal year and there was some b.s. requirement they wanted for the new contract that almost all of the contractors declined so they put out a general call for contractors, which turned into an emergancy call when a storm came up. The city workers worked for days on that one with no contractor help since they wouldn't drop the requirements even for emergency.
    Check out http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/winterStatsBIG4.shtml for Boston's snowfall in 02-03 season- will give you an idea of what we get.

17. HIGHWAYMAN

HIGHWAYMAN Member

ya i'm near you guys to my town uses macks,mostly R 400's with the slide in sanders this town has the underslung plows but you have to give the town guys a break they do what they can

P.S. bandit don,t break the curb

18. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member

Highway
    I just "Gently" nudge up to the curb.
    But We won't even mention what the Cat 966 that was Helping us out in the Big Dec. Storm did in the Parking Lots.
    In one of Your other posts You mention the Town Road Grader , If You work for the Town, It does a Great Job on the Road to one of the Gun Clubs I belong too. The other club is just over the Town Line with a Long Private Road.
    Bob

19. Sparky925

Sparky925 Member
    from Mass

Mass Highway and the Mass Turnpike are 2 different outfits both are run by political HACKS who know nothing about plowing snow.
    From what I know the Mass pike only uses it's own equipment for plowing no hired stuff. They have lot's of Oshkosh's and International's Ford's/Sterlings etc for there plowing equipment.

20. HIGHWAYMAN

HIGHWAYMAN Member

Bandit

no i dont work in natick but i work close to natick (same weather)dont know how they do during snow because i,m allways working during snow storms they have some good plow trucks though
    more snow this weekend, its been a long winter in metro-w payup west