1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mass, Conn, R.I. weather thread

Discussion in 'Weather' started by makplow, Dec 10, 2007.

1. makplow

makplow Senior Member

I figured i would start a thread for us because we seemed too be missing all the snow he last couple of years. Hopefully this year things will be better!! It is starting out cold enough. We have frost up too 8 inches or more and I haven't seen that for at least 10 years at this time of year. Usually the frost doesn't't set in deep until after the new year so may be that is a good sign!! Where getting a lot of ice because of the warmer air above over riding the cold air below but I have a feeling that will change.

The mad man on Accu weather is still hot on a huge storm for the 17th!! Lets hope things come together and we get a big storm like we deserve after two years of crap.

There still is snow in the forecast for Thursday and Thursday night so maybe that will get us started too a better year!!

Mak

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Thursday night into Friday is looking good, but Sunday and monday of next week (the December 17th storm) is looking really good.

3. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

I jsut want some snow!!!! I am sick of this rain/sleet stuff!!!!

4. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

ya i'm a regular henry watcher. I think we'll see a good push on Thursday and Friday, then the weekend strom all depends on the track. If it goes out to sea some be could be getting clobbered. A foot or more for Boston, Philly, NYC, CONN., and north. We'll see. I hope it does, time is payup.

5. kattoom125

kattoom125 Member

Its Coming Just Checked Weather Bug 6-10 Inches Here In Lincoln The Further South The More You Will Get . An Early Christmas Present!!!!!!!

6. makplow

makplow Senior Member

Hey nieghbor,

I''m glad too see things getting better for us southern New England folks. We have had a lot of crap the last couple of years and you RI. people have had it real bad along with the cape.Good luck.

Mak

7. DeereFarmer

Looking like 6-10" for around here too. I can't wait.

8. makplow

makplow Senior Member

I feel this storm is going too be a real tough one because it is going too be coming down at a 1 to 2 inch per hour clip for several hours, and it will be right at or during the evening commute with terrible visability. Every one be cautious and play it safe untill people get home and settle in.

Mak.

9. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

ya good thing is our trucks are assigned to different accounts so theres limited driving around involved, only like a mile or so but tomorrow that could even be a hassle. i love to see state trucks stuck in traffic on the mass pike. not really....but really haha

10. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare Member

The Latest and greatest:
    Technical Discussion: Detailed Forecast
    A Descriptive Look At Connecticut's Weather Forecast

UPDATED: 5:21 pm EST December 12, 2007

Good Wednesday Evening

The National Weather Service has issued HEAVY SNOW WARNING for all of Connecticut with the exception of the shoreline, where a WINTER STORM WARNING is in effect

Here comes WINTER STORM ALEXANDER, the first named winter storm of the season! Alexander will be a quick hitting storm and it will bring more than 6 inches of snow to parts of the state. Snow will likely develop by noon tomorrow across much of the state. The snow will become steadier and heavier during the afternoon, which means the Thursday afternoon drive home is going to be quite slippery with plenty of snow on the roads by then. Snow will taper off and end shortly after midnight tomorrow night, and we should have fair skies for the Friday morning commute. Total snowfall will range from 6 to 10 inches across most of the state. However, the shoreline may see some sleet and rain mix in for a while keeping snowfall totals in the range of 3 to 6 inches in cities like Groton and New Haven.

Alexander will be a quick hitting storm with the center passing off the Mid-Atlantic Coast and to the south of Long Island. The air will be cold enough for snow across most of the state tomorrow even though we saw highs in the 40s and 50s today.

We'll get a break from the stormy weather Friday and most of Saturday, but the next system will be coming in for Saturday night and Sunday. This one should be a big Nor'easter, but the storm closer to the coast could bring milder ocean air into parts of Southern New England. Thus, we may have to deal with snow, sleet, freezing rain, and rain. A storm track closer to Cape Cod would mean more snow. A track closer to New York City will mean more rain. Since the storm hasn't even formed yet, we really can't pin down the exact track this early. However, it does looks like we will get heavy precipitation and possibly some gusty winds too, especially for shoreline communities. Stay tuned! We'll keep you posted.

Enjoy the rest of your week despite Storm Alexander!

Chief Meteorologist Bruce DePrest

11. iflyhelis

iflyhelis Member

I've got it made like that too, I'm assigned to one account for the duration, unless help is needed elsewhere.

Time to make some money this storm, not like the last one with slush.

12. DeereFarmer

They just upgraded us to 8-12+" The plow will be on within the hour.

13. PlowingRedneck

PlowingRedneck Member
    from SE CT

To be honest with you guys i think its gonna be too cold for it to mix along the CT shoreline im reading 27 degrees at my house and i have flakes wohoooooooooooooo

Happy Plowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. z71plowguy

z71plowguy Senior Member

stuck in school this sucks i go to auburn the ass back words town

15. iflyhelis

iflyhelis Member

Well I just put in 14 1/4 hours at the one site, I'm bushed! More coming on Sunday too & no place to stack it now, time for the loader!

16. makplow

makplow Senior Member

Wow! We have a super storm heading our way and no one seems too be interested. We might get enough to get out and make some money so lets not get down. This winter is already way ahead of last year at this stage. I think we will be sick of plowing before the winter is through!

Mak.

17. wyatherb

wyatherb Junior Member

Sure hope there is some snow and not just sleet, rain and ice!!

18. kattoom125

kattoom125 Member

Hey Guys , I Put In About 29 Hours Getting Everthingdone From Thursday , Are We Getting Anymore? Thanks Stephen

19. makplow

makplow Senior Member

I would't put the plow away yet. A lot could happen with a storm this size moving in, Even all sleet we have too plow. Last year we had a 8 to 10 inch sleet storm that i plowed for 21 hours straight for my town.

Mak

20. v-plower

v-plower Senior Member

Well, just started to get some flurries here in south western MA.
    Looks like just north of us is getting 4-8inches while south is getting 1-3 inches. We are looking at 1-4 then sleet/freezing rain and possibly all rain.
    From what I have seen so far south of the MA border in CT. they are expecting a third of an inch of ice on top of the snow and then changing to all rain tomorrow.

Not excited for the wintery mix but since I plow a bunch of banks and other commercial accounts who are not open tomorrow I have the whole day to clean up whatever mess we get.

Unfortunately, the Pats are playing at 1 PM tomorrow! Looks like I'll be listening to it as opposed to watching it.