1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mass Blizzard

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Crodog, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Crodog

Crodog Junior Member

Well, maybe technically not a blizzard but it was definitely white out conditions last night, plowed from 6 last night until 8 this morning. Lightfluffy snow, winds blowing hard, around 10" here, Cape Cod got blasted, 15-18"!!! Time for a nap!!!

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Over a foot in Randolph, interesting 2 days so far, no sleep yet. Iam in for another break, i am going back out to finish clean up before everyone starts home from work. I will sleep well tonight and alot of tommrrow.
  3. PJB

PJB Junior Member

Nova Scotia Blizzard

We got about 16" in Mount Uniacke, 20 miles from Halifax. White out conditions since about 3am till now (5:46 pm). Makes for interesting plowing with 60 MPH winds and dry light snow. Plowed a section of paved road for 1/4 mile to get to two driveways that I do. Had to stop 3 times, couldn't even see the back of the plow. A friend asked me to do the road to his golf course. 2000' of unpaved 12' wide winding road that goes down about 30 feet from the highway and climes steeply 60 to 70' before levelling out. Left side has a drainage ditch and right side has a 10 to 20 ' embankment along most of it's length. With all the blowing snow it made for quite a ride! Fortunately he rode with me to let me know when I was about to commit suicide.

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

Newfoundland Gets Hit Hard!

Now we're getting the snow we wanted, and more besides. Today we got 40 cm (14") and we're supposed to get like another 5-10 cm tonite. Along with tons of rain and ice pellets. Makes it a b***h to plow!
  5. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

2-3" here.
    But I did do TWO of my SIX customers.............$70.00 for 30 minutes of "work". :D
  6. Landscape89

Landscape89 Junior Member

14" of Snow here
  7. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

I'm in Randolph too. Only plowed 6 driveways as I opted not to go with automatic customers this year because my other work keeps me too busy to tie myself up with too much snow plowing.
    It's chilly willy outside now. Here's a snowy shot of my street taken about an hour ago....oh, and how could I have forgotten to add one of my jeep with the plow on. Didn't have anyone with me to take pics while I plowed.

chillintheair (Small).jpg

jeepplow (Small).jpg
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  8. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

We lost power in hanover, plowing all night in pitch black, kinda scary 14 hrs, good little hit!
  9. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

I'm in Westfield.

Ive been noticing the last two years or so that the snow line has moved...essentially, the cape never got snow before and we used to get a lot. Now, the cape and eastern Mass get a good dumping and western Mass gets 1-2". I think the jet stream has changed and wonder if this is a permanent thing ?? The Atlantic coastline seems to get whacked every time now, but inland gets a dusting.

I also noticed that the almanac changed some of the Northeast region and split it up between the Atlantic corridor and inland New England.

Whats up with this?????????????????????? I WANT MORE SNOW! :bluebounc :bluebounc :cry:
  10. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Hey im with ya kramer.We got 1.5.The eastern part of the state got like 6-9
  11. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc Member

We were missed again here in southwestern maine. Thats 3 big storms. We got about 2.5-3" out of it...
  12. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

Pulled an all nighter...

We ended up getting about 10"-11" in Waltham. The storm was steady through right till the morning's commute. This was my very first time plowing my whole route. It was a lot of work (took me a while), but hey...when the checks come in it will be hard work paid off. payup

Wishing you all the best this New Year!!
  13. ggwash21

ggwash21 Senior Member

hey can we get soem of that snow over this way in mn :drinkup:
  14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Remember the weather patterns change periodically- normally in 7 year cycles for short term and longer terms over all.

This is only temporary- remember the "blizzard" of '96?
    The Storm the other day was respectible considering it was a Northeaster and an off coast low. The coast always gets more snow from a coastal front- a land based front usually means the coast is warmer due to the ocean breeze.
    don't worry about it the jet stream will re adjust next year, and the year after, and so on.

I just wish the weather forcasters could get a clue on how to predict these things- nothing like a last minute prediction. I think all the old timers that know how to use the history books retired and the college grads only know how to use the computer but not how to actually interpret the weather.