1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Masonry steps question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SidelinePropMgr, Feb 6, 2011.

1. SidelinePropMgr

SidelinePropMgr Junior Member

Trying to find out what you guys use for de-icing on masonry steps with mortar. Salt is not an option by request of the homeowner. Need something that is not harsh on the masonry and mortar joints. HELP!!
  2. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

propane torch, melt the ice...
  3. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

A torch is not nice to the concrete. Rapid heat can greatly accelerate the scaling of a bad crete job. I take it you did not take the time to educate the customer, assuming you have that knowledge, on different products and their potential pros and cons. Look at the end of the day if there is an unreasonable concern of damage and they are likely to point a finger you are better off not doing it.
  4. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

It isn't the material used to deice the step it is simply the water getting into the joints and freezing...There is no way around it other then totally covering the steps with a tarp to prevent the water from seeping into the cracks......Like shovelracer said. Educate the customer. If they don't want to listen then walk away. It will get expensive.
  5. leon

leon Senior Member

steps a la masonry

Ah yes; I love this solution for ice and snow.

The fastest and easiest way is the implementation
    of a propane or kerosene fired salamander
    The small propane fired ones do not wiegh much,
    a filled gas bottle wieghs more than the 40,000 B.T.U.,
    space heater.
  6. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I think I am going to start telling people if they are worried about the ice treatment hurting there concrete then they should not have the concrete. I will then give them a discount rate of taking a jack hammer to there concrete and removing it completely so there will never be an ice problem again.

See, no concrete, no need to worry about ice melt hurting the surface or making it look bad.

I think I am going to start a petition to get concrete banned, do to people discriminating against ice melt products due to it!
  7. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

The problem is not concrete in general. The problem is bad concrete, poor installation, and misuse of deicers. The rest is just a gross misunderstanding of what happens to concrete when subjected to freezing temps. Yet another reason why terms of the contract are important.
  8. kmzlawncare

kmzlawncare Junior Member

Just sand it that will give them enough traction that they should not fall. If they don't want it sanded you can get a insulated blanket from your tool rental store put it on for a couple of days with the black side up and it should melt it off. GOOD LUCK
  9. PlatinumService

PlatinumService Senior Member

i dont know if anyone read the post but its not concrete. its masonary steps with mortar.

you need to talk to your supplier about what they stock that you can use. i would use calcium chloride but see what the manufacturer suggests
  10. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have stock in a kerosene heater company?
  11. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I think it is the Kerosene company.
  12. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

All roads lead back to Kerosene and some sort of Tool that uses Kerosene...i.e. A jet Powerd Engine or a Salamander Heater....:nod:
  13. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Apparently a jet engine scrap yard as well.

Wouldn\'t think that would be overkill for a few steps, would it?

Lay some tracks to the front door and let her have it.