1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mason Dump With Gooseneck.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Lucfw, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member

Just was wondering if you could have a gooseneck hitch inside of a mason dump? i know you would have to have clearance on the sides and that the hitch has to be on the frame. I think i remeber hearing/reading some where you could have a trap door to acces the hitch. So just wondering has any one ever had a gooseneck hitch in a mason dump? Also i would not mind see a picture of it to
  2. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

It's do-able, but depends on the length of axle to the end of the bed, and the width of the bed. Need to have clearance for the trailer on the corners of the bed.

As far as the hitch, yes, the best way is to have a trap or removable door in the bed, with the hitch under that. I've seen one or two that have the removable/turnover style hitch, and it was set up that when in position, it still came just above the bed of the truck. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of any to share.
  3. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member

Thanks, i was just courious if you could do that or not. Thanks:drinkup:
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

The only thing I would add...

If you can't do it on a mason dump, then you can either convert it to a flat-bed dump, or just get a flatbed. I know there is also one company (can't remember off the top of my head) that makes a mason dump with removable sides and rear pillars to convert it to a flat-bed.

And, just make sure the hinge of your trap door is towards the cab so that if you are dumping a load, it will stay shut. If it gets tweaked at all and is facing the wrong way, then it might come open when dumping a load.

5. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I had\have one in an F800 that was for a backup truck. Ours was mounted to the box itself and we had 2 "straps" that came up the side of the frame that we would use to bolt the bed down. Welded the nuts on so it was a couple minute at most to install or remove the bolts and use it as a dump again.
  6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Appalacian trailers in Salem, Ohio. They are the ones who make those beds. A landscaper friend of mind has 4 or 5 of them. Great for landscaping but I wouldn't go hauling concrete or asphalt in them. I believe they're around $4000 or so installed.
  7. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member

Never thought about the hinges and the trap door...
    I am new to mason dump bodys, I am just wondering is there a way for the sides to fall inside on the bed and just take the tail gate off so it would give you the clearance? is there trucks like that? or i am just drinking thinking againlol
    Also i am not looking to buy one at this time, but i am just courious about them.Thanks
  8. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

It also depends whether the the dump piston is hinged toward the front or the rear on the frame . If hinged from the rear it puts the hitch too far forward .
  9. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member

Oh, i never thought of that. I see what you mean:drinkup: