1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mas insurance

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by FRANLANDRY, Jun 12, 2006.

FRANLANDRY Junior Member

i need a little help i need to get commercial insurance for my truck with liability also for the city does anyone in mass now of a cheap place around also i heard about balloon liability insurance for 6 months has anyone hear that let me know thanks
  2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Cheap Insurance in Massachusetts.lol

I don't mean to laugh but there is no such thing as cheap insurance in Massachusetts.From what I have been told from guys still in the business down there your lucky if your carrier will write snow plowing at all.
    I spent 12 years with equipment plowing for the City of Beverly and Mass Highway. I never found anything cheap about Massachusetts.
    Notice the NH address now.I wish I could help you out.I spent all those years shopping for cheaper insurance.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Franlandry I would try this company...http://www.safetyinsurance.com/ they are not cheap but they do offer commercial/liability for your truck.

One piece of advice as far as insurance is concerned, if you look around for the cheapest insurance you can expect them to have clauses in their policies that might come back to bite you when you file a claim. Not all companies offer the same level of coverage even if the dollar amounts are the same. Example; some insurance companies will give you a liability policy but with restrictions, (or added costs for no restrictions) such as no condos, or no shopping centers or no municipal work and so on. This could come back to hurt you if you're not careful. Know what your coverage is in detail before you commit to it.

Also if at the end of the day you think the cost insurance is too high you may have to reconsider your pricing structure. If the town or city you plow for doesn't pay enough to cover your cost in an average winter then finding another town or city to work for is probably the only way to go. We all pay a good chunk of change for our coverage and this is a an expensive place to live, but most can more than make up for it by getting better wages than other areas of the country so if necessary I recomend you shop for higher wages also.
  4. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

What JD Plower said is common sense.
    You'll need to shop around as the few commercial underwriters left in Massachusetts are being very picky on what they write.BTW;I cut my premium in half when I moved across the boarder with the identical coverage.
    All I can tell you is what I lived first hand in snow removal, building my company up from nothing after 12 years My equipment was at the top of the pay scale and when I added up all the hours spent getting ready,maintaining,sandblasting/painting and being on call 24/7 all winter long,then running the equipment it was not worth my while at the end of the season. It is a rarity for anyone to make a living just plowing snow....I am sure there is someone out there, and I know there are lots who say they do....If you talk with the owners of the larger companies they will tell you that they plow snow to keep their employees busy and close-by during the winter.If you've ever had to replace/retrain employees you'd understand.
    They call it blood money for a reason.
  5. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I use Farm Family Ins. There are 3 levels for plowing, driveways-small lots, large parking lots, highways. The higher the risk, the higher the dollar value for cost.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Franlandry the other thing to consider about plowing for municipalities is that the pay scale for State/city in comparison to private lots is similar to comparing apples to oranges. The pay scale for many state trucks is about 100-125 for many of the larger trucks, but 50-65 for the smaller one tons and pickups. While I can't say what the average wage might be for the area you're in I can say that around Boston the per hour average for private work is considerably higher than all of the State/City work. You also don't have to wait nearly as long to be paid. I'm not saying to not plow muni work but to know that you're insurance may cover you for private work and that might be a good alternative for you in the future. It will almost certainly pay better.

Quite a few of the dirt dummies around here work for the state and they are paid well for their time, but when you compare what most private contractors are making for small private lots it has never appealed to me particularly since I'm not a trucking company or an excavation one. If I did have larger trucks I too would probably be plowing for the state since ten wheeler's and tri axles don't do all that well on all but the biggest of lots.