1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Martha Stewart snow %*&$

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CMerLand, Jan 6, 2003.

1. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Anyone else getting annoyed with what I've come to call "Martha Stewart snowfalls" that have drizzled snow on me here in Central Jersey since it seems the New Year.

I call them Martha Stewart snow because It looks real pretty but has no real purpose, like most of the crap she makes on her show. Over the past two days, we've received about a total of 2 1/2 inches of snowfall but it is confined to just the grass surfaces and the trees.

I normally wouldnt mind that but the killer part is that I've been out at 3am the past two nights and the damn temperature just wont get below freezing so I can do a salt app. The parking lots are just black and wet and wont freeze up so I can make the loot salting.

I feel like the pizza guy and the gynacoligist, the stuff is so close but I just cant taste it!!!!!!

They say down to 25 tonight so maybe the third times a charm.

Have a good one.

CMerrick

2. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Hahhaaa...

No comment

3. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I'm feelin ya man. I though that we would get some snow last night but didn't. (1/6) weather channel called for 1-3" but nothin. I went out a salted this morning anyway. Just spots that were icy but in all reality I didn't need to go out. But if I didn't they'd be calling. I rode around last night because temp were falling and lots were wet. BUT it got windy before it had time to freeze. Its only Jan so I'm not going to grip too much yet.

4. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

I feel for ya! Christmas day we had 26" in a 13 hour period. Last week we had 22" in a 36 hour period. We took in $14,800 in those 3 weeks. I'm getting tired!:drinkup:

5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Damn Cmerland! The news & traffic reports talked about all kinds of accidents & icy roads etc. in your neck of the woods, so I thought for sure Truck 33 was playing in the salt this AM. Sorry to hear about that. Just got in from another full app. (and then some at a couple of locations, wasn't easy to melt 1 - 1.5 inches of snow on top of layer of ice). Same exact forecast for tonight as the last 2 nights, so I'm hoping for another salt run. Good luck!

6. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Bill,

Got a full taste errr salt run in myself last night (this morning) as everything finally did freeze up when temps got down to the mid twenties. Cant call me truck 33 anymore as temps finallllyyyy got into those 20s. Did I mention I love my fisher speedcaster 2??? If you dont got one GET ONE. Gotta love those margins on salt spreading.

CMerrick

7. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

we where out all night last night too, some locations had enough that we scraped the lots before we salted, especially bucause we're just about outa salt. Since last week we've gone through about 3 pallets of bags and 22 tons of bulk. There also calling for the same thing tonight.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Chris, maybe you ought to invest in some dry ice. At least you could keep your beer cold. lol

9. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I'll trade. It seems like every morning lately there's an inch on the ground. I havent had a good nights sleep since Christmas. We're out moving snow and all of a sudden t starts snowing just a couple good snow showers, but enough if it's not done the phone will ring off the hook. I'm not complaining but I'd gladly trade the revenue from salting for about 12 hours of sleep.
    Casey

10. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Actually I wasnt really gripping either, was trying to be a little funny. I learned a long time ago complaining about the weather and where its snowing is a waste of time and effort, cause there aint a damn thing we can do about it. Just take it when it comes cause who knows when its coming again.

Uhh Casey, before I take you up on your trade, how much revenue we talking???? Just might be worth the trip and havent been upstate since my trip to Niagra.

OOOOMMMKISSSSSS, no beers here but Im sure we could find some chilled vodka for some shots? Want one???? $@* LOLOLOL

CMerrick

11. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

i was up all nite fixing my power steeing only to have that last storm poop out, talk about disappointment

12. BRL

I can't believe I now have to tell my wife that Martha ain't so bad after all. Another 1.5" to salt last night. Residual salt from the last 2 nights meant the apps could be lighter to get same effects, so margins got even better. Sounds like the Clipper Machine turns off tonite though. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Speaking of margins, Chris you gotta start running some bulk through that machine & then check out the margins!! Truck 33 - that's funny! I just figured you have your trucks number for IDing them amongst the employees. LOL

13. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Bill,

You finally got the TRUCK 33 joke??? Good for you. LOL

Had the same results you did with last nights (Wed) storm as you did, only didnt really freeze up as tight as the (Tues) clipper did. Like you I used about half the salt I used the night before.

And I have run bulk thru the Fisher a couple times now, Tues morning being the second time and the Christmas Storm. I'll buy that way every chance I'll get, which means daytime storms as the sites only open from 7-5. Have run 4 tons thru it, (2 each storm) and its great, I just rush right to the power washer after I get that truck empty to try to help reduce the rust factor.

Speaking of salt how are your suppliers holding up? My usual place was sold out of everything (bulk included ) but 8 pallets of 80lbs yesterday at 4:30 after I took 3. Had only planned to get two but when they told me they were low I grabbed a third. After last nights run, I still have a pallet and a half on hand, with no snow in the forecast. They werent sure when the next order was going to arrive because of the back to back storms.

Anyone else suppliers running low??

CMerrick

14. Hawkz

Hawkz Member

CMerland, I liked the joke about the pizza guy and the gynocologist, cracked me up!!!

You have it rough man, you really do..... seeing as I in my parts we have not even seen an inch of snow. An inch of snow is very hard to come by here. This winter season sucks, I am always ready to plow and nothing comes our way. We may be jinxed though. Maybe next year will be our year!! This part of the midwest is normally full of snow and down to around 0 degrees. Take care and when you think about your snow problems, think of me and my snowless area. Bring on the snow, Hawkz

15. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Hawk,

Been there done that with the no snow thing. Last year had only one plowing event and two saltings all season. Weather patterns just move across the country so while the midwest is getting nothing snow wise and is way above normal in temp. the jetstream tracks moved everything to the east this year. Like I said, no sense in complaining cause it will shift back sure enough and then I'll be wishing we could get some of these Martha Stewart snows again.

In fact Im stating to really like these salt only events. Did my whole route yesterday by myself and probably cleared over $ 2 grand net. And the best part??? Nothing got broken or run into or burned out. Well okay the starter took a dump, but that doesnt really count, does it??

Wish us all snow.

CMerrick

16. BRL

Hawkz,
    We are in an El Nino weather pattern right now, and I think that means your area gets the short end of the snow stick when that happens. :( Sorry! Keep sending your cold air this way, so at least both of our areas aren't missing out on Winter Weather. Thanks.

Chris,
    See I told ya!

It seems my main 2 suppliers learned their lessons from 2 years ago when there was a major salt shortage. I'm friendly with both of them & the discussions lately have been about how they were agressively searching out alternate supplies at the slightest hint of any delays or shortages from their suppliers. Never heard them talk like that before, but yes, supplies were getting scarce earlier this week.

17. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

I'm starting to get used to working every night, it figures though, as soon as i'm used to it, it stops snowing. We've been out every night so far this week. It's good that it's not gonna snow tonight though because we're outa salt. We picked up 2 pallets yesturday and used both last night and we used up every last bit of our bulk salt and we can't get another laod untill friday morning. I saw something in the forcast for a storm next week, We need to get another real storm :)

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Chris, I'll stick with the beer, thanks. Seen any Flesh lately???

Doesn't the net only count if you invoice it??? lol

19. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I've been getting the same thing here in Toronto. The past two nights it snowed just enought to cover everything an inch or less.:mad: Looks like it might be like this everyday right up to the weekend.

20. wyldman

wyldman Member

Fordman - I know the feeling,same here just northwest of TO.We did go out for a few cleanups the other night,but mostly just lots of salt :)