1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Marking Sicks...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Sep 16, 2005.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Where do you guys get your marking sticks for entrences? most places around here are like $3 a stick (ouch).

Thanks guys

2. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I go to the local saw mill and buy some rough cut lumber and cut my own.

Gene

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Are you looking for a reflector type or something to mark the driveway? Some guys use 1x2 or 2x2 and paint the top orange or something bright. You can pick these up at the hardware store cheap. Just remember to put them 12" to 18" back from the driveway so you don't knock them over.

4. PremierLand

from detroit

im looking for something plastic, that is easy to push into the ground, stable, and reflective.

5. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Cheap as dirt here...

http://www.angelos-supplies.com/plowparts/catresults.pg?cat='Driveway%20Stakes'

6. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

7. lumps

lumps Senior Member

i used to buy 3/8" dowels, 36" long... then i would do a quick spray paint (red), and wrap a strip of reflective tape around the top. lot cheaper than the premade ones.

8. PremierLand

from detroit

thanks for the link guys. I just bought 150

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We buy pre cut 2"x2"x4' stakes last year we paid .39cents per stake (wood). I bought plastic reflective ones at Lowe's for .89cents.

10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Just curious but didn't you say you wanted them to be reflective?
    I buy mine from Jeff for under $1.50 with FREE FREIGHT, metal tip to help in driving into the ground, 48" and a 6" reflective strip.
    http://www.fiberglassinnovations.com/ultraflector.html

By the way, I also made a tool for driving 48" fiberglass poles into the ground, always the same depth and can push it through the crusher run you find at the edges of the driveways. I put in a couple hundred poles and the tool makes quick work of it, if you are interested pm me.

The place you bought yours from says their pricing is not always what it is listed and they charge shipping, did you incounter a price increase when you bought yours?

pole_in_use.jpg

pole_in.jpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2005
  11. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

hey big, thanks for the info, just orderd 200, you should contact the guy and tell him you want some payup for all the orders you turned on to him LOL

12. Cheap Cheap Cheap

Go to Menards and buy 1/2" PVC pipe in 10 ft sections (last winter they were $.67) And then cut them into 3 pieces each. ($.67/3 = $.22) They are strong, and plastic so they wont hurt your truck should you hit one. I paint the top with "construction orange" spray paint.

13. CLM LANDSCAPE

CLM LANDSCAPE Junior Member

Last season i bought 500 marking sticks from Fiberglass Innovation. Not trying to sell them but we found they take a lot of abuse and reflect well. Used them on all our commercial properties.

14. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Yeah I haven't even ordered mine yet.. better get some freebies :gunsfiring:

15. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Pretty nice guys, they called and said they are only 15 min from my house, said stop by and pick up my order and they'll refund shipping. I'll grab you commission free-bee's :nod: :p :nod:

Pretty Cool

16. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

taking abuse well

Same here, pushing piles back I would run right over the suckers and only after too many times of doing that would they break. The cheep ones that were on my subbed lot snapped almost right away. My commercial properties like the reflective strips, the old plower used wood that was painted --they hated that.

17. PremierLand

from detroit

where are they located?

18. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Thank you for hating on my stakes Roald! I'll keep those "broken stakes" in mind next time I send you a check.. Just kidding!

I buy all of mine from Angelos.. If you run over them, they are usually ok.. Push snow on them, they will probably break.. Cheap and have worked well so far for us..

19. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

They are on 8 mile, 1 block west of Middlebelt

20. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have been useing the fiberglass from ones from Home Depot- buy in large enough volume and they will discount. I seem to buy about 10 new ones per season to replace destroyed ones- but even snapping them at groud level I reuse them for a couple more seasons. Customers seem to like them over the "home made" solutions others in the area used.