1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Marking Driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EPS, Nov 11, 2007.

1. EPS

EPS Member

Have any of you guys had this happen.... I waited until other plowers in area marked there driveways so I could use different color spray to be able to identify my driveways fast. Well 1 week later someone in my area is using same type of wood marker and same color paint, not to mention my cousin who also plows called me to see if I had marked a driveway that he is contracted to, because it was my markers with my color paint marking that driveway. Why would someone mark a driveway that they haven't been paid to plow?

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's either a mistake or your cousin doesn't have it anymore.

3. EPS

EPS Member

He called them and they confirmed he was plowing it this winter they already paid him , maybe it was a mistake but still why did they have to use the same type wood and spray paint color I did that pissed me off!:realmad:

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'm kind of lost on this one. You're upset that someone is using the same paint color as you to mark driveways? Don't you know where your driveways are? Or if you use subs, don't you give them a book with addresses? Many people use the same type/color stakes. Why do you think you should have a lock on a particular color just because you decided to use it this winter? If you really want yours to stand out, do something really unique, like pink and lime stripes on black paint. Then spray on a stripe of flourescent red. I doubt anyone else would copy you.

5. EPS

EPS Member

Now dont get me wrong, I know other people would use red but I waited so long to stake them I seen everyother color but red so I used red. Now just when I think I will have a easy time for subs and myself in a snowstorm to just look for the red markers instead of house numbers (for first couple trips anyways until everyone knows where the houses are by memory) someone is using red.. Sorry I was just venting.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Are you sure your cousin isn't just playing a trick on you. It would be pretty funny. LOL

7. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

not to be a smart-guy, but if you're plowing in the early morning hours (dark), what does color of stakes mean anything to you?
    Come just a little south of you (about 30 miles), and everyone has wood stakes w/ red paint. Except me, mine are fiberglass with bright orange.
    Just busting chops. dont mean anything by it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2007
  8. EPS

EPS Member

6feetdeep, thats funny because alot of people up here use the orange stuff. And I was the only one using red until now lol. I figure maybe someone wants me to plow there route for them so they dont have to get out of bed.

9. KarlG

KarlG Junior Member

Syracuse

I'm just south of you in Tully. With the amount of snow we get up here, it doesn't matter about the color. They'll all be buried in white in a few months anyway. Hey, WIXT is never wrong about their predictions, now are they :rolleyes: ?