1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Marketing Response...Unusual?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Joe Snow, Nov 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

OK, went door to door and delivered about 75 residential flyers. Mailed a couple dozen commercial flyers (small town), delivered Realtor flyers to every real estate office, one per agent, replaced tear-tab flyers at two places as they were mostly all torn off.

Result?

Not a single phone call.

Is this usual...unusual?:confused: We've not had any weather resembling snow yet, just a few flurries here and there.

What do y'all think?:confused:

:waving:

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Pretty typical. Seems like even more so this year.

3. GreenManEnvy

GreenManEnvy Senior Member

Getting one response per 100 for flyers is the expected rate. Of course, you probably need to get a number of responses before you get a good one! :D

Once you get things going, word of mouth works great, but letting people know you exist in the first place is... a challenge, to say the least.

I've been trying to focus all my advertising on reinforcing "call before it snows", but that's not helping up the numbers any. I do expect an increase once the snow starts sticking a bit more...

4. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

People will call but usually when they need it plowed I stress the word NEED...!

5. BGehl

BGehl Member

My mantra has become yard signs. I passed out over 150 flyers and got 3 accounts. Then i put yard signs on the yards of those three accounts and my own, and now i got 20. I was landing two or three contracts a day this week. And i am trying not to lowball (i say trying b/c it is my first year and it is hard to learn the market.) In fact, i wanted to stay small this year, so i pulled my signs up. Hard thing to do.

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Is the residential market your focus? BGehl's idea sounds great, and seems to be effective for him.

At the risk of being flamed, you could try this. Choose the area (or areas) you want to focus in. Maybe target one of the first homes off the main entrance of the subdivision. Approach the homeowner and offer to plow his/her driveway for free, in return put up a sign in their yard advertising your plowing service.

This cost to you may not be more than the effort you just spent doing your fliers. You will accomplish getting (and keeping) your name in front of the people you are targeting.

The basics would be approach property and facility management companies. Call established snow removal companies as a sub.

:::::poster assumes no liability if idea fails.........poster will take full credit if idea works::::: ;)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Excellant Idea:drinkup:

8. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Wait until it snows... the calls come pouring in then.

9. Mick

from Maine

That's right. We got our first snow today - just a skift. First call of the season about 10:00 this morning.:rolleyes:

10. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

This is my first year plowing for cash. I made 500 flyers and targeted the wealthy suburb next town over from me and so far between my flyers and a couple of contacts I've got 12 accounts signed up and 3 more verbal just waiting to get signed proposal back plus about another dozen proposals out this past week. Either I'm lucky or I'm good because so far I've landed 85% of the proposed drives. I think a lot of people are mad about last years poor service because it was the first year in the last 8 that we had above average snowfall and most plow truck drivers seem to have a holier than thou attitude. I offer to shovel remaining snow from in front of garage where the plow can't go, takes less than 5 minutes. Plus I offer to clear the walk to the front door for an additional $5-$15. I told a rival plow truck guy I did that and he says f@#$ that Sh$% I don't get out of my truck for nothing but gas and coffee.

11. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Once your in a neighborhood tell the customer you will plow the drive for free for every customer you sign with thier referral. They refer three you plow them for free three times. My best customers landscaping and plowing are referrals. People argued with me about this over on lawnsite saying I was leaving money on the table and a bunch of other stuff but it works for mowing and plowing.

12. Mick

from Maine

Let 'em argue. If it works for you and you're happy, well....

13. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I do and I am....so...

You have to think about it as a long term kinda deal. In lawn mowing it pays off fast. I can see it in some areas being tough for plowing if you are only getting 6 events a year on per push drives it may not be worth it. It may take a year to pay off. My new plowing customers may turn into mowing or cleanup customers.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008