1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Marketing for next season

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by jhook, Feb 9, 2005.

1. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Well, figured it was time to start my own thread here with a question :waving:

Just wondering if any of you do any marketing at this time of year for the next season?

Not talking about the standard stuff you might do in the fall (flyers, newspaper, phone book, online, etc) I do all that in the fall too, but looking for answers from people who actively seek out new clients for next season now.

What do you do, how do you do it? Is it easier to do when they are getting poor service now? Do you get contracts signed, money upfront, etc?

2. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Marketing

This is my first year plowing, but I am applying the same marketing principals from my GC Business to the Plowing.
    I never stop marketing.
    I keep flyers in the truck always. Businesses change ownership, management, and subcontractors all the time. If I see a "under new management" sign up, I stop and introduce myself and give them a flyer. If I am in between appointments I stop at places I have already given a flyer to "just stay in contact". You just never know.
    I have found that personally dropping off flyers is more affective than mass mailings. Both you and they get to see who they would be dealing with. I learned a long time ago that if you look the part, people are more comfortable to give you their business.
    As far as signing contracts for next season...I have already signed 1 new contract and 5 of the 13 properties I currently have for next year. 50% due on April 1st, balance due October 1st. I offer a price freeze on services(not materials) for those who sign by April 1st.
    Networking...I also market for next year through networking. My neighbor is the Clerk of Court for the County. When it snows, you had better believe her drive gets plowed. I am a member of the Better Business Bureau. At each meeting we exchange Business Cards. When I hand a card to another BBB Member I write on the card "10% off first year Snow and Ice services".
    Their are other things I do...but this is getting too long.
    Good luck!

3. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Some excellent points there, thanks for the post

4. winterangel

winterangel Member
    from Ohio

Excellent Question jhook

I myself am always marketing for the services, 24/7, alot of my business is through referrals, trucks, uniforms (shirts, jacket) mainley plus business cards and brochures.
    The phone book is a wast of time and money.
    I've just picked up a new account today for a place, for the remainder of the season and they asked about for the rest of the 2005 and winter 2005-06. So never stop marketing any service. ONCE YOU DO, I TRUELY BELIEVE YOU HAVE STOPPED ON YOURSELF AND THE BUSINESS, WHICH IN A SENSE IS YOU.

My 2% :nod:

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

take a look at the places that have crappy service. Take some pics. attack them. Hard to sell yourself on service if the other guy is doing a bang up job eh?