1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Markers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Sep 19, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Does anybody use those little flags attached to a stiff piece of wire to mark edges? I saw some for sale at Fleet Farm for $8.99/100, seems like a good price. My concern is that they are only 2' long, is this long enough?

Thanks for any advice,

Joel B.

2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

You mean driveway or Plow????

If you mean driveway edges, ask yourself ...
    How much snow do you get in a storm? in a season?

I think 2' markers are way too short. I mean the object is to be able to see the edge markers above the snow.

I use 4 footers here in Connecticut.

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

If your gonna use them to mark for snow I think that they would be too short.Maybe 4' would be better

4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I wouldnt bother. The force of rolling snow woud knock them right down. How would you be able to see them on the right side?

What you really need is something that will be higher than your plow, so your able to see & get right up to them.

In this area they would only last the first few hr's of the first good storm then vanish forever.

I use 1/2-3/4 inch PVC pipe. A 10ft piece gets me 2.5 pieces the 1/2 piece I use for raised beds/etc... I add a connector for a longer piece when needed. Spray paint them your colors, finnaly a use for my Compressor spray gun. ;) The PVC will flex back into place if you or the customer hits them. Unlike the wood that just falls over.

Most people use the standard wood "tree stakes" 2x2" or whatever they are.
    For higher upper class drives some people use the homeowner type fiberglass or plastic reflective makers. They will cost ya $$$.

Using markers you can see will cost more at first but will save you much time & money come spring. The topsoil, seed & labor to fix plow damage isnt cheep.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2002
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

2'? Not nearly long enough by the time you push it into the ground far enough to stay put. They'll be buried with the second good snowfall. Around here a lot of guys use reflectors about 3' long and they're usually buried or plowed up by January. I use 4' wooden stakes sharpened on one end and tape on the other. Even they have a tendency to disappear but by then I'll have the snow banked enough to use as a guide.

6. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

We use 1" PVC... doing it again I'd use 1/2 or 3/4 - a little smaller/more flexible. We cut the 10' piece into two 5' sections - put a 3" piece of reflective tape on top with a PVC cap. They hold up well and look good in the customer's driveway for 5.5 months.

Broken pipes are cut down to 2' or 2.5' long pieces that we use on in the inside edge of a circular drive or in certain sections of winding driveways that as you back up you have the tendency to catch with your plow as you're turning. In these scenarios the shorter stakes are nice. Once your windrow is built up, you know where the edge of the pavement is anyways, so height isn't a major concern. But we use them with taller stakes anyways.

I wouldn't cut my stakes to 2', but if you've got 'em, you can use 'em.

7. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

By the way... anyone color code their stakes for various obstructions... speed bumps, catch basins, edge markers, etc.

What color schemes do you use?

Does anyone use markers in a lot to mark concrete curbing/islands that is surrounded by ashpalt? How do you install and what do you install? What do you do when you remove in the spring?

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What might work for some people is to visit your local lumber yard. You can often buy misshaped 2"x4"x8's for about a dollar each. Cut them in half then rip them into 2"x2"x4'. Cut one end to a point and wrap reflective tape around the other end to cover about 6". For .50 apiece you've got some nice markers that are going to last for years (or at least until you break it off with your plow).

9. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak Member

We use, and have for past 4 years, the 30" stakes from J Thomas, for driveway edges, they seem short but work really well. For lots & roadways it's PVC, paited somtimes with reflective. For hazzards it's been T stakes with red/silver reflective, work good but getting too expensive. Good Luck

10. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

we used 48" fiberglass snow poles last year with a four inch reflective strip. they were 1.56 each. we billed our clients and everyone was happy.

11. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

bam, where did you get those stakes? I buy 4' orange fiberglass stakes with 4-6" reflective tape on the top at the Home Depot for $2.50 each.

12. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

13. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Politicians are good for something

Go get a whole mess of Political sign stakes ( well the old school ones the wooden ones) and a can of Neon Orange paint and use those. They are very cheap and most are pretty long. They set good into the ground and make a fine marker.

Jay

14. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Finally a use for thoes damn signs.

15. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I use four foot grade stakes. They are made locally out of whatever hardwood is cheapest and sharpened with a "pencil sharpener" so they drive easy. I usually paint them twice, first with a coat of white sealer and then blaze orange. They work good and are cheap. Sometimes they are a bit too limber to drive good so I made a driver out of a short piece of steel tube with handles and a heavy cap on the end. With that there is no danger of hitting your hand with a BFH or having a bad stake splinter when you're holding it to get it started.

Only thing I worry about is having one break off and leaving a spear to catch a tire. When we do break one we try to push past where it was with the plow down and make sure it is sheared off at ground level. Somebody had left one in from a previous year at a new location for us and we took the stub through the sidewall of a new 245/75-16 Weathermaster.

16. RYAN SMITH

RYAN SMITH Junior Member
    from PA

I agree wooden grade stakes our the most cost effective way to go.We also tie colored engineers tape on the tops for extra visibility and or to color code certain areas .
    RYAN SMITH
    WWW.WINTERWEATHERSERVICES.COM
    MAGIC SALT DISTIBUTOR

17. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

what a deal

i just bought a bunch of those nice orange fiberglass, with the reflective tape and cap for .45 cents a piece.

Is that a deal, I think so.
    No more spray painting would stake and getting splinters in your hand hammering them in the ground. :eek:

18. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

we use 1/2 pvc also --if we have a major obstruction we pound them in the ground so they make an "x" and the driver know to be cautious around these............i like the idea or color coding

19. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The system I have used in the past....

No color = curblines / lot edges
    blue = drains
    red = fire hydrants / siamese connections
    yellow = speed bumps
    green = heating oil tank fill

Around here fiberglass ones would grow legs overnight and vanish...

~Chuck

20. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I have never, nor have I ever seen my competitors stake their commercial lots. So far, so good, the subs have not damaged anything. Am I making a big mistake by not staking the properties in a market that typically gets 25" or less per season?