1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

markers for driveways/plow shoes

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jay albers, Oct 12, 2011.

1. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

do you guys mark the driveways yourself or do you ask the customers to mark them?

Also, I just bought a boss 8' straight, should i keep the plow shoes on? will they scratch the drive up?
    Thanks Jay

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I mark all drives, and lots myself. This way I can see any changes before they are covered with snow if it's an existing account, and for new accounts I get the lay of the land a little better. I also take pictures while I am there and keep them in a file in case the owners try to convince me that I did any damage over the winter. As far as shoes go, I am barefoot on all my plows, but it's a preference. You will get as many people telling you to leave them on as taking them off.

3. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

thanks for the reply rc, gives me some things to think about

4. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Deffintly Mark all driveways. Some people do it themselves With the expencive 5ft stakes Thumbs Up

If i do it, i get the cheap little 3ft? ones and call it a day. They work well until the kids take them out. In my contract i say if all stakes arent in place when we plow the driveway, we will not be held accountable for ANY damage.

As for Shoes, im also a barefoot guy! Gets the plow all the way down to the surface. In return, my surfaces are cleared all the way to the pavement... In some cases i can even scrape ice and hard packed snow up.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Tell me more about this putting markers up .

6. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Mark the driveway yourself. Corners, edging of landscape beds, edging of paver walkways, dropoffs, vent pipes in yard too, etc. As far as the plow shoes, they make great anchors for my little fish boat! They can also be useful if you plow alot of gravel and dirt roads or driveways.

7. Matt10486

Matt10486 Member

how much do you usually charge to put up the markers? one time fee or fee to put up and take down?

8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I mark all my customers lots, or drives for free with the signing of a contract. If they sign, I mark. If they want me on a per call basis, then I don't mark, but I make them sign a waiver before I plow.

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

After a year or two, I didn't need markers anymore. I knew the driveway boundarys by heart. No shoes on pavement.