1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

markers for driveways parking lots

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mike9497, Nov 17, 2002.

1. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

does anyone know where i can get some 4 ft markers or wood stakes?

2. PBC IN BUFFALO

PBC IN BUFFALO Junior Member

The cheapest way I know of to get 4 ft markers is 1/2 PVC conduit at places such as home depot get them in 8 or 10 ft lengths and cut them in 1/2 at an angle!

3. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

4. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Home depot carries flourestent poles with reflective tape as well as other types.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I just bought a bunch of 4' reflectors at Home Depot. I didn't think they were cheap, though ($1.98 ea). Bought them Friday night, put them out yesterday and got out first significant snow last night:drinkup: .

6. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

$1.98 is to much i need at least a 1000 of them dirt cheap

7. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

8. PLM

PLM Junior Member
    from browser

Go to Home Depot. In the lumber section you will find wood latts. It's what is used in older houses for the interior walls, under the plaster. They sell them i bundles of approx 50. and sell for $5.50 that's only 10.5 cents per a marker. beet that pricing!!!!!!!!! they work great I've used them for years. just tap them into the ground and if youn lie paint the ends your color.

9. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

fiberglass innovations

48" snow pole with 4" reflective band.

discount on orders over $900

if you need 1000 poles, you would qualify.

look them up on the web.

the same poles are sold in sears and depot for at least 3.50 each.

mine shipped ups in two days.

10. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

how do you order from them there website really stinks

11. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

My philosophy has been that plow stakes stay up on a customer's property for nearly half the year. So they ought to be nice looking. To that end, my residential customers get PVC pipe w/cap and 3" band of reflective tape on the top. Not cheap, but they look good and are durable. As well they are 5' tall which is nice.

For commercials I bought 1" x 2" x 4' stakes from an Amish lumber mill. 500 cost me $150, or $.30 each. I spray paint the tops according to their location on a site. I don't expect many to make it through the winter.

12. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

bam - I have been trying to order from Fiberglass inovations for years. Then always told me that I had to buy their markers from a supply house. I only live 45 min. from their shop. How long have you been buying direct. The $1.98 price sounds good to me, the cheapest I have found these markers for were $2.49. Before Fiberglass inovations told me I had to go through a supplier, they quoted me $1.49 a marker. That was three years ago!! How much do you pay.

I am in the process of manufacturing my own fiberglass markers. I will be making around 20,000 pcs , with custom color. Should be ready in early spring. I had to cut the middle man out, I was paying $2,000 plus a year for markers.

I have to agree with what Lawn Lad said, the markers must look good, especially if all the homes you are plowing are in upwards of $500,000 +. Even spending the extra money to buy attractive markers, three or four customers a year, call about how the markers detract from the look of their home. LOL Some people are just plain nuts!

CGB

13. Dan Schulte

Dan Schulte Junior Member

Lowes sells 4 ft shivs (?) for about $3.50 for a 50 pack bundle. Fit great against curbs. Orange spray paint and your set.

14. Mick

from Maine

Snoworks, are you going to be marketing them or are they for your own use?

Dan, what's a shiv? I'd always thought it meant a knife.

15. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I will be marketing them, for a good price including mark up. My latest cost analysis for the each marker is $1.20. I can shave about 15 cents of that number if I order in very large quantities, over 100,000 units. I am still trying to work out reflective tape and sharpening production lines.

CGB

16. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Hey while we are on the subject, what colors due you guys prefer when it comes to markers? Can't hurt to due a little marketing.:D

Current colors are orange and yellow!

CGB

17. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

mill supply .25 cents a peice if you buy 1000 or more

18. Mick

from Maine

Right now I'm using Blue and Red -

Red - drop off, well head or some other hazard
    Blue - potential "push off" area

19. sonjaab