1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Marker Stakes?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Advantage, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Is there an e-store that I can find a large quantity of marker stakes for a good price?
    I'm thinking of the generally orange, fiberglass, 48" ones with reflective tape on top. Places like Menards sell them for $2 a pop, not in bulk. Any help is appreciated.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Central Parts Warehouse which has a banner ad above. You will need to log into the site.

I got mine from Angelo's. Something like two years ago - 48" stakes - 100 piece bundle for $40.

3. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/357.htm I don't buy the fiberglass ones to pricey i buy the polyurethane ones there hollow and cheep most of my stakes get riped off so i don't like to spend allot of money on them if you have the money buy in bulk you save a ton i just bought 750 the other day and they were here in 3 days just some advice don't buy the installer its a rip off just use a piece of re-bar to make the hole hope this helps

4. KarlG

KarlG Junior Member

Drivay Way Markers

I prefer the fibrglass poles with the reflective markers, yellow Hi Viz and a metal cap so you can use a standard hammer without pre drilling with tools or rebar. Hit a rock...move the pole a few inches and you are good to go. They take less than a minute to install, even with a bundle under one arm and are light to carry. Give some thought to the 60" as they generally are more visible above the tailgate when you back up. The good ones have the 3M reflective tape that shines like a light at night in the headlights and backup lights. These are the ones available at CPW, who last week, never responded to myonline order. When I called stated they were back ordered and would call back with a ship date and I never heard back.

I found the kind folks a 3T (in PA) had them in stock, were pleasant, shipped fast, had the lowest price, (they will go 5 cents apiece lower if you quote them a price you find that is lower, and had same day shipping at standard rates with no hidden "handling" fees.
    At 750 the price per pole is $1.33/pole for the 48".

Driveway Markers

I hope this helps!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  5. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Thanks. I'll be checking out those options.

6. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

for the hole, I just take my cordless drill with a 1ftx1/8" bit on it and it has worked for the past 2 years. It works very fast.

7. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

I do the same exact thing. Especially since last year I bought some of those stupid 2 foot hollow deals. I dont mind them being 2 feet tall. I cut my 48 inchers in half a lot too, but you cant get them in the ground for crap.

Theres no doubt the fiberglass ones with the metal tops are the best. I have some. Some I bought. Some I "collected" over the years, but at 2 bucks a pop or better....sheesh.

8. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I orderd 100 from angelos last week, Got hear in less than 1 week. $45 for 100, But $20+ shipping with UPS.

10. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

I make my own... Here's how.
    Go to HOME DEPOT or LOWE'S... I get a 10' long piece of 1/2" pvc pipe for $1.19/piece. Usually buy 40-50 at a time. Then I buy a few cans of flourescent spray paint. Since the pieces are a little longer than 10', I can cut them and get exactly 3 40" long sections from each piece. Then I spray paint the top 10-12 inches with a good high visibility paint that not too many other people in my area are using. There ya have it. A can of paint lasts approx. 60 pieces, so.. for $49 + sales tax I can make 120 customized stakes that anyone who subs for me knows are mine and can find a driveway pretty easily. Plus... then don't splinter like a fiberglass rod.. they might push over if you run into them, but they can be reincerted with a heavy mallet usually. Just my $0.02

Correction... cost me $60 with sales tax... but, like I said... only takes me about an hour worth of work and I have 120 custom markers.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  11. theplowmeister

from MA

I've run into PVC and they brake quite easily I have driven over fiberglass and they bend. You can cut fiberglass off at the ground level with the plow:eek:

12. SpruceLandscape

I've never broken a PVC marker since I have been using them. Then again, I've never driven over one with my plow... thats why they are painted... so that I can SEE where they are lol. On the other hand, I have a whole box full of fiberglass rods that are bent and splintered and basically useless unless I want to put in a 2 foot tall stake.

13. same-same

That is what I do too.
    I found flat black spray for $1.20ea and hit the top 8-10inches and do a fluorescent
    green or orange stripe on top of flat black. ( greens mark my boundries and the
    orange is something i dont want to hit.)

Didnt think about making them 40in. Mine are 5feet.
    I made a steel bar about the same diameter to make a starter hole if grnd is firm/frozen.
    Then I made a rod that fits inside the pvc about 2.5feet and larger top to drive them
    in the ground easily. The rod inside helps keep them from flexing.

I dont need as many as most of you and I can use them over and over.
    If a vehicle drives into them they bend easily and I dont have to worry about scratching
    their vehicle.

tc

14. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

For you guys using PVC stakes - do you use the heavy schedule 40 (usually white) or the lighter CPVC (usually yellowish). I would thing the sched 40 would be best. That would be a 7/8" hole for 1/2" sched 40 PVC

15. SpruceLandscape

yes, thats what I use. when the ground isn't super hard, you can just pound them in with a big rubber mallet.

16. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I still don't understand why more people don't use the utility flag markers.

Unless you're getting literally feet of snow at a time, where you're pushing with a large loader, the snow when it falls will create a burm, where you'll know where the edge of the plowed surface is.

I bought mine for 1000 for $80 with my name and phone number on them already.

I took some pictures with them placed, just got done putting in the rest today.

Looks no different than using PVC, lathe, whatever.

I see more and more guys in this area using them.

You all talk about finding something for $.90, $1, .85 each... try .06 without your name printed, or .08 with whatever you want printed on them, shipping included.

17. OSCLandscaping

OSCLandscaping Member

I use the 36" hollow poly stakes, I made my own installer, the stake slides onto the installer, you push it into the ground, pull the installer off, your done, it puts them in 6 inches and takes about 4 seconds.

The stakes are about 34 cents apiece. If you run over them or plow over them they pop right back up.

Sure beats pounding grade stakes or rebar in with a sledge.

18. theplowmeister

from MA

O see my markers but if I want to put snow on the other side where the marker is, I just push over them with the plow about 6" up and the marker springs back up so I can still see the edge and put snow on the other side.

19. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

I got mine the fiberglass orange ones 48" for .89 each at northerntool.com

20. pvc much cheaper

Lowes said that had something at 98cents for 10feet
    I paid $1.29 for half inch pvc last week.
    Partner said that I should put the orange on first and black
    border sprayed over/below. (hate it when he's right)

I may try to get the 40 inch stakes for secondary needs.

as far as utility markers,..we would lose those after a few days of snow.

I mark primarily for missing things--things that get covered in snow.

tc