1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mark IIIa Angling Issues

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dt5150, Dec 12, 2011.

1. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

i've had some leaks and other issues previously with this pump but those are now resolved. i've made some gains, but now i have a new problem that i can't seem to figure out..

it will raise and lower perfectly. it will angle, but it will only angle to one side. if i adjust the 4-way lever position (cable), i can get it to angle to either side but it won't come back. adjust the 4-way again the other way and it'll come back. so i can get it to go left or right, but not both. also, while it'll go to one side properly, if i try the opposite direction, it'll try to raise the blade.

the 3-way valve lever is lined up perfectly (according to the maint. manual), so is the 4-way lever. i've tried everything the troubleshooting guide tells you to do.. verifying the lever travel on both the 3-way and the 4-way, and adjusting the lift valve and the check valve. fluid is full and fresh. i can't seem to get it to do both. i'm about to bite the bullet and take it somewhere. anything else i can do?

2. larboc

larboc Member

If it lifts when the angle lever is centered and the lift lever is centered (in the housing, not the controller), the lift valve is too far in. back it out an 1/8th.

I've got similar problems. I think it has to do with either worn cables or worn controller. I can use it, but it angles super slow in both directions after alot of fiddling with the adjustment. My next plan of action is to slit the controller way's farther so I can get more throw to overcome the worn cables.

3. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

i tried that too, adjusting the lift valve out a bit. doesn't fix the angling, and it also detracts from it's ability to raise the blade.

my controller and cables are fairly new. i think they were used for 2 or 3 seasons.

4. meborder

meborder Senior Member

Just as a point of asking, how hard would it be to fab up a new plate for the valve lever pin inside the housing? that is, move the valve lever pin closer to the attaching screw so that the same amount of cable movement imparts more rotation on the valve lever.

it sounds like more cable throw at the valve would help. Much like the other poster suggested notching out the controller to get more cable movement. Being that yours is fairly new, i could see why you wouldnt want to go cutting on it, but you could possibly slove the problem at the pump by fabbing up a new piece on which to hook the cable.

thoughts?

5. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

that's a possibility.. first i'm gonna enlist some help and have someone manipulate the stick so i can get a good look at the valve lever arm travel. maybe then i can get it to angle left and right. if i can, then i can try tweaking things to get more movement.

side question.. when the stick is moved left or right, should the 3-way lever arm be moving at all? or should it just be the 4-way lever arm only moving?

6. larboc

larboc Member

Only the 4-way.
    Both should be independent.

7. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

ok, that's what i figured. for arguements sake, let's say i see movement in the 3-way when the stick is moved left or right. probably need to buy a new controller/cables huh..

8. meborder

meborder Senior Member

I had a similar problem once on mine. trying to turn left or right made the plow go up.

turned out that the cable had come loose inside the controller for the 3-way valve and the cable and cam was in the "up" position. so when the pump turned on, the fluid was going to the lift cylinder.

when this happend, it wouldnt go down either. because the cable was disconnected, of course. but caused me a few days of grief before i figgured it out.

worth checking out anyway.

9. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

thanks. i'm gonna give it a good look for sure. thinking about it, it does offer a possible explanation to my problem.. if the cables aren't operating properly from the controller, it doesn't matter how perfect i set the valves or the lever arms. thanks guys, i was totally out of ideas. this gives me some other stuff to check!

10. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

made some pregress. i can angle it fully to both sides now, but it stops working. i rigged up a rope on the controller so i could move it while watching the lever/cable at the pump. it'll have enough travel to make it work a few times, then it quits. there's some slop in the cable. if i unhook it from the lever arm i can move it about a half inch in and out (while the cable end fitting is secured with the set screw in the pump housing). there's my problem i think. just need to figure out if it's loose or something inside the controller box or if it's just junk. it's an aftermarket SAM controller, not a western brand.