1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mark III Cable Control Lift Valve LEAK

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by PlowGuyJerry, Feb 12, 2012.

1. PlowGuyJerry

PlowGuyJerry Junior Member

Mark IIIa Isarmatic Lift Valve LEAK

My isarmatic Mark IIIa lift valve is leaking. There was no problem until I removed it. I have attempted to repair leak by replacing entire valve (part 49064) and then again by replacing just O rings (part 25730). But fluid continues to escape when under pressure bypassing the nylon valve threads. Maybe I damaged something the first time I removed the valve without have cable control in nuetral??? How can I stop this thing from leaking? Should I put Permatex on threads? Help please.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

when you removed the valve, did you check and see if your threads are stripped?

3. PlowGuyJerry

The valve removed without any problem - it was a nylon valve - there are no thread problems. The problem appears (I'm not positive) to be that the front O ring doesn't want to cleanly insert past the squared of shoulder of the lift valve channel. Because no one responded here in over a day I started a new thread with that more specific info hoping for an answer.

4. PlowGuyJerry

I still have this problem - lift valve leaks - and still hoping someone can help. The O-rings appear to be ok now. The lift valve position doesn't affect movement of valve lever - it rotates all the way and touches bottom. If I screw lift valve flush with housing there is no leak. But plow doesn't raise either. So I slowly back out lift valve, in 1/8 turn increments, until plow lifts and drops properly. But then one entire thread is backed out and its loose enough that fluid squirts out threads when plow is lifted. Please help if you can.

5. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Put the lift valve where is supposed to be and back off of the check valve. The valve opposite the lift valve. Keep working the adjustments until it works properly.

6. PlowGuyJerry

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about that - backing out the check valve a thread or two as you suggest. But I've hesitated because there was no problem with it before I removed the lift valve. I'll try this but would it need repositioning due to simply removing and reinserting the lift valve? Everything was working perfectly fine before I removed the lift valve thinking it was the fluid overflow plug (blush) after changing the fluid.

7. PlowGuyJerry

Backing out the check valve didn’t help. Still needed to back out lift valve to first thread for plow to raise. Then needed to adjust check valve back in to original position for plow to drop properly. Front O ring torn and ruined again. Now I see these o rings are getting mangled on the pair of 1/16” holes opposite each other at front of valve channel. Ideas anyone? Did I maybe damage something by pulling out the lift valve (the first time) without having the valve lever in the neutral position?

8. Plowfixguys

Humm this is strange, its kind of odd that after all these years the holes in the unit would damage the o ring. Feel like coming to Chicago!!! Would love to see the unit, I like challenges LOL
    I am going to look at a few units I have here and see what I can come up with.

9. PlowGuyJerry

Where in Chicago? - I work in different suburbs each week.

Oh I see you are in Skokie. If I don't get it figured out in the next week or two then I could bring the lift unit to Skokie.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  10. Plowfixguys

That would be cool, I have a test bench so I am sure we could get it work out. would be great to meet you. Let me know.