1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Maps of Sub Divisions/ Commercial Locations

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plow man Foster, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys just wanted to ask a quick question. I was wondering where i could get the best Layout/ Plan of a couple sub divisions We do.
    I know google maps has an aerial view but i was wondering if there were any other sites that do the same thing.

Pretty much we have a couple subs we're doing and i dont want the guys to get lost!

I want a hand out like we get for stores and strip malls where it clearly... (PSH!) marks the lanes and boundaries. But MOSTLY The lanes and streets.
    I've been doing these subs for a while now its just with new workers i want to help them out a little bit!

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  2. snow patrol

snow patrol Senior Member

You can try BingMaps.com but I think you'll find its pretty much the same. Google maps allows you to view "layers" where you can see just the map, a map with street names, an aerial, and an areal with street names too. I imagine that should be enough, but maybe not. Are you looking for something more like a site map?

3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I have pretty good luck printing maps from google earth, not so much with bing

4. snow patrol

Agreed. The only work around I have had luck with is to do a screen copy then past into a word document. After its been pasted it can be sized, cropped, repositioned, etc. Takes a few more steps than just point/click/print, but its not to bad.

5. Red Bull Junkie

Red Bull Junkie Senior Member

Are you looking for a site photo like this or something more like an animated google map?

1.jpg

6. snow patrol

Red Bull, what source are you using for your aerials?

7. Plow man Foster

Well since im just going to print it out all i need is something like google maps...
    But I just wanted something a little more fancy, Like this!!!
    How/where did you get that??

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  8. tjjn06

tjjn06 Member
    from Ohio

It looks like Go I Lawn/ Go I Snow (http://goilawn.com/). It is a wonderful tool.

Red Bull, How does yours print out? With our lazer printer it is horrable and for the most part useless. The saved pictures are good, they just don't seem to print well.

9. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I've worked in a few states and provinces. They all have extensive GIS programs that contain aerial mapping and property line info. You may have to do some digging, start with your state web site. Wife and kids just got home gotta go.

Here's ours:

http://geonb.snb.ca/geonb/

Pete

10. tjjn06

tjjn06 Member
    from Ohio

Didn't think of that one. We do that for the farm plots where we don't need any measuring.

11. Plow man Foster

Yeah I dont need anything extensive Just looking for a nice layout....
    Anyone know if isnow has a free trial period?? Call me cheap but Hate to spend 30 bucks on Something that i end up hating...

12. wnwniner

wnwniner Member

Try your local government. I work for ours and we have GIS maps and original subdivision plans. The should be able to get you what you need. We dont even charge for that kind of service.

13. tjjn06

tjjn06 Member
    from Ohio

They did earlier, right after the GIE+Expo finished. Looks like there "trial" is $30. Did you try google earth? The pictures are the same, so if you don't need any of the tools that Go I Snow has, then that maybe your best bet (that I know of).

14. tjjn06

tjjn06 Member
    from Ohio

Well you lucky son-of-a-snowman, ours does charge! Albeit not much. :cry:

15. Plow man Foster

16. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

County or city GIS is the way to go. They have the original aerials that Google and Bing buys and you can REALLY get in to some cool layering options like fire hydrants, manhole covers etc..., should that be of interest to you. I used to manage a municipal GIS mapping system and have never seen one that charges, but with the economy, wouldn't be surprised if the city was charging for information that the citizens have already paid for.

17. tjjn06

tjjn06 Member
    from Ohio

To be fair, I don't think they charged us to "see" and look at the information in the office. However, they did charge us for a copy for us to take. Which I view as charging us, since the information is useless for us unless we have a copy and that is the only way to get one.

The one thing I don't like about Go I Whichever, is since we are in a smaller town, they don't have the parcel boundaries and information on it. So we if we want that we do have to go to the municipal office. Last I heard, our county was working on making the mapping available to the public via a web site. There was no eta on it though.

18. Red Bull Junkie

Tj, you are correct it's goisnow. It has some neat tools for measuring and marking items on our properties. I have not had any problems printing the photos and they are actually part of our proposal package that gets submitted during the bid process.

19. Red Bull Junkie

I think we pay about 1.95 per property-we may have their old pricing system though. I think they may charge differently if you sign up now. Also I recieved an email about all goisnow accounts getting transferred to goilawn? Not sure what that is all about, but it is the same exact product. Looks like we won't get any salting in tonight huh.....we'll see:rolleyes:

20. Red Bull Junkie

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.