1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mapping out resi route

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BillA, Nov 26, 2011.

1. BillA

BillA Member
    from IL

Wondering how you guys go about mapping out your routes? We currently use google earth in combiniation with our GPS units. Wondering how you other resi guys go about putting your routes together?

2. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I've used myrouteonline.com with good results. We use it mostly for summer maintenance routes but it applies to anything. The ability to input service times at each location is nice.

3. Rich Graz

Rich Graz Senior Member

Seems like a good tool, I will try it out. Also very reasonably priced

4. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

get a rough idea together of how you want to do it, and then drive it in your head as you're mapping it out to see if it makes sense. And then after you plow a couple times, you'll find little stupid things that make you change the way you do things because you can avoid having to turn around or go around the block, or whatever. And sometimes saying "well, I'm gonna do all the driveways on Sesame St now" doesnt work because I have 4 driveways on one street, and the whole street is maybe only a mile and a half long, but I do all 4 driveways at different points in my route because I'm all over the neighborhood and I do them as in in the areas of that section of the street, if that makes sense.

To answer your original question, I guess, the best way to plan it out is don't micro-mange it, look at the big picture, and then set it up in a way that allows you to make some changes like I mentioned above. Gotta go with the way that makes the most sense, not the shortest distance, or the quickest time (normal driving conditions) and you may end up doubling back somewhere but as long as you're smooth and efficient thats all that matters.

5. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I have over 50 rezis I used map quest route planner. After inputing each address you can zoom out and see where they are located and number your stops. Its free and easy to use. Then I input the addresses in order on my gps

6. BillA

BillA Member
    from IL

Thanks guys, some good thought there! Trying to increase efficiency this year so every minute counts, I agree though MIKE, efficiency isn't always the "fastest" route on paper. It is what makes most sense when your actually out there doing it. Thanks guys

7. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

I have about 6 different neighborhoods. Depending if I start plowing at 1am or 3am I'll do them in different orders. This way I can work with the street plows and have certain places cleaned up at certain times. You figure 5 extra miles 40 times a season is 200 miles (these are 10 miles per gallon miles) so 20 gallons or $80 bucks. Nice savings but not to impact service.

8. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

I basically use the same plow route as I do in the summer. Except I change a few properties around in order to clear them earlier as these clients pay extra...

9. BillA

BillA Member
    from IL

Used this today....worked out pretty good thanks!

10. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

No problem. It is a good site.

11. markogreg

markogreg Junior Member

garmin has one .for 109.0

12. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I use a map and look at it.

13. ND-Blackhawk

ND-Blackhawk Junior Member
    from 58642

GPS for planning routes.

Nick T or Anyone else.....What kind of and what brand of GPS do you use for marking out your routes? Thank you.....Francisco

14. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I use a Tom Tom gps. Most of my work is subbed out to me. I have basically the same route as last year with a couple of add on's. But the gps is good for keeping the route tight,because its usually starts with a different location on every storm. Commercial lots get done first and then the driveways depending on what time it is and how much snow I start at different points on the route hope this helps