1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mapping A Snow Plowing Route

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Tess, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Tess

Tess Junior Member

Hi, I am new to this forum ,and am starting a snow plowing business . I am hoping ya'll may know the answer to my question. Is there a way to map out your snow plowing route , as in the shortest distance and best way to get from house to house. Or business to business? I tried mapquest and of course you can keep adding another location and so on.
    I am just hoping there is another site where I can do a detailed map of my route.Any help would be greatly appreciated !:nod:

2. CGBear

CGBear Junior Member
    from Chicago

Buy a map.

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Rand Mcnally will also let you keep adding stops, but the map overview will show you flags at each location. It lets you get a birds eye view of the over all picture.

Not sure if you have a GPS, but I have a Tom Tom and a Garmin GPS in my trucks that I sometimes will plan a trip with via points on it to organize my "customer relation days". Makes for less back tracking. when I have over 20 stops to make.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

First off,welcome to plowsite. Second where are you from Georgia? As for the route your over thinking it. Start from your house and write down each address on a sheet of paper and plow in order.

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

If you're any good at math, you can construct an Euler Circuit which will give you the optimal route so that you are never wasting time going from account to account.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eulerian_path

Good luck :waving:

6. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Microsoft streets and trips does automatic routing. Works most of the time, but common sense is still your best friend when setting up a route. Things work differently in a snowstorm than clear dry days, things like avoiding busy intersections, staying off the freeways, coming into the backside of an account to avoid busy streets, etc. UPS has a good model too, always go straight or make right turns, less chance of accidents and more efficient not waiting to make a left turn. :nod:

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you drive from each account to the next BEFORE it snows you can figure out the best route to use.

8. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

I'm old schoolI guess, I have a large map of the areas I service hanging on the wall in my office. I put colored thumb tacks at each account and than play connect the dots for routing. It's a fun game for me and my 2 year old to enjoy together, and it makes him "earn" his paycheck until he can effectively push a shovel. :laughing: