1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

many thanks to Chuck Smith

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowking35, Nov 18, 2002.

1. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

As a end user and advocate of urethane edges, I want to personally thank Chuck Smith for his article in the latest issue of Snow Business Magazine. Not only was the infomation correct, but very well researched, showing once again that Chuck is very astute in not only the lexicon of snow removal but in all faccets of the aftermarket area as well.
    I hope that his prediction that most plows will be running urethane in the future is correct. Not only will that mean more sales for all urethane companies, but that individuals are willing to try new products. Whether it be u edges or any other type of new product, having the forsite and intestinal fortitude to try things where others wont will make not only make the end users ahead of their competition, but advance the industry at an even greater speed then where we are at now.
    Furthermore, less damage will be done to road surfaces, vehicles, and plows, which will mean a longer usefull life for these large ticket items.
    Again thanks to Chuck for the well writting piece, and I look forward to his column in future issues.
    Dino

2. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Terriffic

Bravo to not only Chuck's article but also every other page of the Snow Business magazine. I got my first copy in the mail last week and have enjoyed every ounce of information that it has provided. Definitely what i have been looking to see come from the snow industry for years (talking of a publication on the snow removal industry)

Jay

3. JRFire

JRFire Junior Member
    from PA

Just a question... When did the Nov. issue come out.... I usually get it in the mail and didn't get this one yet... I hope it is coming in the mail soon.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Mine just came today. Yes, we have regular mail service (every day) and they don't use dog sleds. Although for the next road up from me, they would be better off.

5. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

it's nice to put his name with a face, same goes for JAA as well.
    dan

6. JRFire

JRFire Junior Member
    from PA

Well i got mine today and I have to say that their is some very helpfull information in their on choosing the right plow for your truck.. I just have one question though does a Fisher 9.5' EZ-V only weigh in at 930 lbs? I thought that it would be up with the Western 9.5' MVP that weighs 1049 lbs. Maybe i just have it mixed up... I have to say it has a lot of good info in it.
    Thanks

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Alot of that weight may be in the different lift frames that each uses. Also maybe not for the V but I think Fisher was experimenting with alloys that would reduce the weight, by allowing a thinner guage steel, on the moldboards.

8. JRFire

JRFire Junior Member
    from PA

But wouldn't that affect the durability of the Fishers' moldboard:confused:

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

An alloy is going to allow higher strength out of a thinner guage.

10. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

When fisher lists weights they do not include the truck side of the frame kit, as that will vary from truck maker. However I do think that the ultramount from western will weigh a bit more than the MM2.
    If you take the blade assemblies alone, they would be very close in weight. I would say within 10-20 lbs of each other.
    Dino