1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

manual?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by packey, Dec 6, 2007.

1. packey

packey Member

looking around I notice many of you use automatic transmissions. is their a specific reason for this? I am currently running a dodge power wagon with a 4spd with 1st gear being a granny gear. I have never run much more than idle while pushing snow? However this would be my first year plowing for hire and before that I have only plowed out neighbors drives. I am just trying to learn what the best settup would be.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

The "best" depends on what you like I have used both. For driveways I prefer Manual for parking lots auto work good.

3. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

I run a auto, I have a buddy that runs a manual, his biggest issue is it is really slow in reverse.

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Some feel the auto is stronger or weaker than a standard and in some cases that is 100% correct. The biggest weakness in general is ensuring you are completely stopped before shifting D to R or vice versa. Some just don;t like having their left leg twice the size of their right after a season of plowing with a clutch!

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Do a search on the gray line above for past posts on plowing with a manual transmission. The tips will save your clutch.
    Nothing worse then having the snow flakes laughing at you as you walk out to replace the clutch.

6. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

now that is funny and all to true at the same time