1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

manual vs. automatic

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by slade, Nov 22, 2004.

1. slade

slade Senior Member

I would like some opinions on plowing with a manual versus an automatic transmission. My brother-in-law has bought a 97 jeep wrangler and is going to be plowing with it the thing is it is a 5 speed. Is it harder / more time consuming to plow with a manual?
    Thanks

2. J HIsch

J HIsch Member

Yes it takes more time. Second, your leg willl be wore out by the end of the plowing event. Auto is much faster

3. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

I plow with 4 speeds only.
    I can do a clutch for 1/3 the price of a rebuilt auto tranny.
    The 4 speed is a lot slower in reverse than an automatic. That just gives me time to run the wipers, get a drink or whatever. I have my plow controller mounted right next to the shifter, works out well for me.

Just my opinion,
    Mark K

4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Thats "if" you have to rebuild auto tranny, I have never had to yet and it is pretty much a given that if you push snow with a clutch that you will likely be replacing clutch in a few years.

5. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

I have pushed snow for 5 years with the original clutch in my 1982 Dodge.
    Maybe I have been lucky,
    Mark K

6. Tarkus

I have had many automatics go past 20 years old without rebuilds. I have one that is 27 and still works fine too.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  7. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Always had automatics. Never had any problems (kock on wood). Always serviced them regularly.

8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Personally I prefer an auto. I don't want my leg getting sore after using a clutch for 12 hrs.

9. Tarkus

Yes regular servicing of them and keeping them cool is the trick to long life with them even pushing snow.

10. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

I plow with a 2000 TJ and its a manual tran. Yes the keft knee will start to hurt at about the 5th or 6th hour of the night. As far as more time , don't know. I get my work done on time, thats all I care about. About backing up slower or faster, how much faster can you do it with an automatic? 20 seconds faster? who cares. Like I said the only thing is the pain in the knee oh and you might need to change the clutch at the end of the winter.

11. Tarkus

You can get by with a stick as a lot have but it just will not feather pushing snow the way a automatic does without slipping clutch a lot which is not good for the life of it either.

12. Plowanator

Plowanator Junior Member

My jeep has 33" X-Terrains and they are great in the snow.. All i have to do is put the jeep in 4lo and 3rd and go to town, i hardly need to shift and it has plently of power to push up my steep d-way. It all depends on waht gear ratio you have in your axles... my 3.55s are working pretty good for me now...

13. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

My truck is a stick (SM465) and yes the knee is a little tired after a long shift. If I have to plow more than two shifts in a row I wear a neoprene knee brace and take an aspirin and its never been a problem.

I would agree that its slower in reverse and that can be annoying. Depends on how far you have to back up. I have this long skinny parking lot where its not worth turning around at the end but it takes a long time to back up. Thats when I wish I had a better reverse gear--but even that is coming when I get around to installing the Ranger O/D, I will end up with two-speed reverse :nod:

I like the control of a stick.

14. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

the most important thing with and auto besides doing the regular maintance is to make sure you come to a complete stop before shifting from forward to reverse

15. Tarkus

Especailly if you are in low ranger but if in high range 1 or 2 mph is no biggy as long as you do not drop the hammer on it while doing it.

16. Tarkus

When you have one of your knees "rebuilt" like I had from a injury once (and it was clutch leg too) you will look at this differently. It took me more than 6 months to get back to 99% so though I drive a few stick vehicals still, I will not plow parking lots with them.