1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Manual transmission is strong?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jomofo, Apr 30, 2008.

1. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Hey guys - I've heard all sorts of terrible things about dodge auto trannys... What about the manuals?

Also - anyone get the lifetime maxcare on a new 3500 with the gas engine? It's not available on the diesel, but I have it on my Jeep and expect it will be worth the $2700 I spent on it - thinking about the same setup for a new truck - what do you guys think?

2. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

If your buying a 2003 or later ram, the auto tran's are fine.. Dodge's trans's were bad 10 years ago. If your getting a 2007+ model the new 6 speeds come with a 150,000 mile warranty.

3. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I'm actually thinking about a new one but to qualify for the lifetime warrenty I would have to go with the 5.7... The auto that comes on that is the 545RFE which they use on the Jeep Commander as well. I know that's a strong vehicle for its class, but I can't imagine those components are rated for the sort of beating this truck is going to take. So rather than getting involved with the jeep tranny I thought I'd just go manual, which is cool really, unless the clutch is 50lbs... My wife has to be able to drive it sometimes.

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

manual tranny is strong, no problems with em, just the autos suck in the second gen rams. my blue rams a 5-speed.

5. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

cool... thanks

6. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i did however smoke the stock clutch failry quick from towing and plowing, so i replaced it with a heavy duty one that required shaving the flywheel an inch bigger because the clutch was like 13 inches as apposed to the stock 12 inch diameter clutch. but again i have no idea how the previous owner treated the clutch before i bought the truck, so i dunno.

7. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Interesting - I'll keep that in mind - thanks.

8. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

If you can afford to buy a brand new truck you must buy new trucks every few years. So buy the CTD it has a long warranty with it

9. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Nah, it's not like that - I got money to buy one new truck. I'm buyin an old truck too... Same truck...

10. banksl&s

banksl&s Member

If your buying a 2003 or later ram, the auto tran's are fine.. correct me if I'm wrong but I did have a dodge dealer tell me they changed the auto's half way through '03. Might want to check into this if your buying an '03.

11. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I'm pretty sure they discontinues the grabage tranny in 03, and the new one is supposed to be okay (it's not the 545RFE that goes on the hemi, it's the other one)... but that 6 spd manual grabs like a mutha and can be disasembled and reassembled in an afternoon...