1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Manual Trans?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by IA Farmer, Jul 30, 2006.

1. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Is there much of a difference between the 5 speed and the 6 speed other then the obvious? I'm looking at a 6 speed cummins and don't know how that will be for plowing, I don't do a lot maybe 3-6 hours per snow. Thanks Kenny
  2. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I don't know much about the 6 speed other than the guys I have talked to like them. I have a 5 speed in mine. It just pulls the skidloader during snows, and this winter will haul the liquid de-icer. For 3-6 hours plowing it shouldn't be horrible. Just make sure you don't take off in too high of a gear with the load of snow in front of you all the time. It will eat a clutch. I will say this, I will not own another Cummins that has an automatic. If you want a Cummins, go with the manual tranny, and suffer with leg cramps when plowing. If you aren't going to plow much, then it will be worth it the rest of the year to have the manual and not eat a $3k auto tranny every few years.