1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Manual trans?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IA Farmer, Jul 30, 2006.

1. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Does anyone plow with a manual and actually enjoy it? I'm looking at a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 with the cummins motor and a 6 speed transmission. I didn,t know if I should stay away or if it is just something you have to get used to doing. Also is there much difference between the 5 speed and the 6 speed other then the extra gear.
    Thanks Kenny

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

use to run one for 10yrs all i can say is after 36 hrs straight in the truck
    LEG CRAMPS. actually depending on the plowing your doing its not bad plus
    its easier to swap out a clutch than rebuilding an auto

john

3. pools&plowingct

pools&plowingct Member

i plowed for the first time llast winter with a manual it takes alittle getting use to it but its not to bad all depends on the aplication i would plwo with it again

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Search " plowing with a manual "
    There are lot's of posts over the years on the subject.
    The big thing is don't slip the clutch against the load,dump it (clutch) or be moving with the clutch fully out when it takes the load. Bump up the plow to take weight off and drop right before the load helps too.
    I have heard stories of people killing a clutch the first night out, by not doing the above mentioned things.

After a long night you will get out of the truck and walk like a pirate with 2 wooden legs.

5. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

It takes a little coordination! My 450 is a manual and you can't hold the clutch in too long before your leg starts shaking!

6. bingermann

bingermann Member

Clutch Plowing

I have plowed for four years with a 1986 F250 4 Speed. It took a little getting used to, but now I think that its a tougher setup. I see new trucks having their tranny's rebuilt after only a couple of seasons. I have put four hard seasons on my clutch with no problems and minimal wear and tear. I think I actually prefer it now!

7. go plow

go plow Senior Member

i have a f-350 dump with a 6 speed.. at first i thought that i would never get used to plowing with it, now i love it, will never have a auto plow truck again!!! you cant beat the power, what i did to help with the , shifting,steering,and plowing, i felt that i needed three hands to plow lol i mounted the plow controls right under the radio on the dash. so when my truck is in reverse i can use my thumb to raise the plow... the only thing i hate is clients thinking that you have a bulldozer!! you know the ones that watch you out the window and then call to tell you that seeing you have a big truck CAN YOU PLOW AT THE END OF A 15" STORM? HUH NO!!:nono:

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I had a floor mounted tranny T shifter on my Bronco II. The Western plow controls were the cable operated T bar type. I mounted it to the tunnel behind the tranny shifter. I would reverse and just drop my hand to the plow controls. It became second nature to run all the controls. But after 12 hours it felt like you were lifting the plow with your Rt arm because the controls have heavy springs resisting it's movements. My oldest son ( 16 ) and I have fond memories of that truck.