1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Manual trans question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by killed300ex, Feb 9, 2005.

1. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

I know some of you use a manual trans and some use an automatic but my question is for the ones who use a maunal. I was wondering your thoughts on choosing a clutch. By that I mean stock or going with a high proformance aftermarket one like centerforce. The reasoning would be that the clutch would be the weak link in your tanny theoreticly so do you leave a weaker clutch in there to try to use that to prevent other damage in your transmition or do you go all out and buy a heavy duty clutch that will take all the abuses of off roading and plowing in stride but risk your transmition? Just looking for some input thanks
  2. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I use a manuel with a big clutch, a South Bend Dual Disk, and what I'm going to say is my opinion only.

Plowing snow while using an aftermarket clutch is okay because the 'weak link' in your drive train is probably the final component: traction.

If you jump on it hard enough to roast a clutch, you'll probably break traction first, on a freshly plowed lot.

In August, your on your own.