1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Manual Trans Fluid

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 86burban, Dec 9, 2003.

1. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I just wanted to check to be sure, The proper man. trans and transfer case fluid for Fords is ATF right? I am going to change the fluids in my 90 F250's to synthetic and wanted to be absolutely sure before I F--- anything up. I have had good luck with running synthetics in my 96 ranger.

Thanks,

Tony

BTW, what is the proper diff lube? 80W90 or 75W90? Ive seen both on the shelf at my Ford dealer and of course, they cant help me.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2003
  2. PARTSMGR

PARTSMGR Member

Trans Fluids

I am not sure on your 90- but my 1988 F150 w 5 Speed Manual uses ATF in both units.

3. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

not sure on the ZF 5 speed, which you would have, but i know on my mazda 5 speed in my 88 it caused a little more grinding between gears because of less friction in the synthetic oil which the synchros used to line up....also you will notice any bad seals or gaskets you have, the synthetic will find them all and seap out....just my experiance...

don't know proper weight lube but run 80w90 unless really, reallly, really cold then do the 75

4. PARTSMGR

PARTSMGR Member

:cry:
    That ideas about the synthetic fluid leaking out is a wive's tale now. The new synthetics don't seep out like the old ones did. I have run synthetics in my 1988 Ranger 4x4 since 1990 and I have had no problems with leaking seals- other than caused by age.

5. FlaBoy

FlaBoy Junior Member

i hope you are not adding atf to a standard transmission

atf is for automatic transmissions u need gear oil which is typically 80 90 weight. i may be wrong but atf stands for autmatic transission fluid.:eek:

6. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Obviously you dont own a ford. Most of fords manual transmissions, if not all, take ATF. Gear oil is for the chevies and everyone else. This is fors way of being unique and while still being a pain in the rear.

7. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I did end up finding out that it takes ATF by the way.

Tony

8. Dan S.

Dan S. Member

Check your manual, I have an 1989 F-150 with a four-speed manual transmission and the service manual calls for 80-90w gear oil and transfer case uses ATF.
    Could be an expensive guess!
    :eek:

9. FlaBoy

FlaBoy Junior Member

I learned something new

I have nt had the privlege of ever owning a newer ford all of mine have been 80 models I have only ever had to change the gear oil in the transmission not the transfer case that is why i made my post. So i apologize if I was wrong.

10. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Thats alright. I realized that most car companies now-a-days use ATF as opposed to diff lube in their manual transmissions as well as in thier power steering fluid too.

Tony

11. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

i think in late 87 and 88 up they started dumping ATF in the trans, i know some 87's don't have it as well as my 85....i see nothing wrong with atf since i can get it cheaper any way....

also synthetic will leak out more often with worn seals than regualr oil will because of its viscosity....