1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Manual to Automatic conversion

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sawboy, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone ever done it? Matilda is a stick, but I'd love to make her an automatic for easier driving. Not looking to get into the age old debate of manual vs auto. Just looking to hear if anyone has done it, and the costs involved.
  2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

what truck, and what engine?
    if it is an IDI diesel, it is easily done with a C-6, an E4OD will be a bit harder because you will need to add the trans computer.
    with a powerstroke you will also need to change the truck computer and a few other things.
    i swapped the 5 speed to a C6 in my 88 diesel in around 8 hours.
  3. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Check / Watch out for / Engine Balance - as in the fly wheel vs the torque converter.
  4. Sawboy

94 F350, 460, 4x4
  5. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

If you are doing this for a diesel, make sure the automatic can handle the additional torque.
  6. BIG

BIG Junior Member

C6 for the 460
  7. tjctransport

this is not an issue.

this is also not an issue, because ford transmissions are engine specific.

easiest way to do it

ok .a C6 will be the easiest way to go. you can also go the E4OD route, but then you will need to add computer and shift position indicator switch plug the column.
    for a C6 all you will need is a trans, column, about 10 ft of wire to bypass the clutch switch and wire in the NSS, and a downshift rod. .
  8. Sawboy

Yeah I figured the C6. And I know the radiator, flex to fly, driveshaft, and CPU (if any on a 94) have to be swapped. I'm just wondering if anyone has done this, and what they paid, and how it worked out for them.
  9. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

If you do it yourself. I was just online and have seen prices around a grand, ive also saw 1 thats a rebuildabe core for 250 and its in indiana. Pm me if you want the info.
    Im sure you can do it for less than 2 thousand dollars if you do it yourself
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  10. Sawboy

This is definitely beyond my mechanical ability. I'd have to find a GOOD shop to have it done at.
  11. tjctransport

you can use your current radiator, it should have the trans cooler in it already.
    even if it does not, adding a trans cooler in front of the radiator is not a big deal, and a lot cheaper than replacing the radiator.
    computer will not need to be changed, the C-6 is a mechanical trans, no electronics on it. you should also be able to use the current driveshaft. when i did the swap on my 88 everyone said i needed to change the trans crossmember and both driveshafts, i moved the crossmember forward 1 inch and reused the driveshafts.
  12. Sawboy

That's true. Trans coolers are an easy deal. Definitely going to look into this after this season.
  13. tjctransport

and it really is not that hard to do either.
    chock the wheels, drop the driveshaft. take out 6 bolts and remove the transfer case. then remove the 6 or 8 bellhousing bolts and drop the trans.
    remove the 6 or 8 bolts and drop the clutch. remove the 6 bolts and drop the flywheel.
    put the flex plate up on the crank and put the 6 bolts in. put torque converter in trans, put trans on trans jack and bolt it up to block. slide torque converter to flex plate and bolt it up. bolt t-case to trans. put drive shafts in. run lines from trans to front of truck and connect to radiator or new trans cooler. hook NSS wires to clutch pedal switch. hook up reverse lights.
    tack manual steering column out and bolt in auto trans column.
    hook up shift linkage and fill trans with ATF.
    like i said, it took us a little over 8 hours to do my 88 with two guys steady, and one tool/drinks runner.