1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Manual to Auto conversion

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ksland, Sep 5, 2003.

1. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I have a 4 speed Manual 1987 f250 4x4 with a 4.9L. I want to convert it to an automatic using a C6 transmission. I know I will need to add a floor shifter or switch columns, add tranny lines and a cooler, but what about length? Will I need to find different driveshafts? And what about the crossmember? Maybe getting the driveshafts and the crossmember out of a c6 truck is my best bet but I would like to know if thats my only option.
  2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I did the conversion on an '81 350 with 4 speed and everything just swapped in. I swapped the column, it was easy enough to do. The only thing I had to fabricate was the wiring for the neutral lockout switch, that wasn't tough either.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

It will all swap in,but I can't tell you on the trans length.I think with the newer truck they were different lengths.It wouldn't hurt to get a complete donor truck if possible,so you'll have all the part you need.If not,you should be able to modify the crossmember to work if needed,and have a driveshaft shop do the driveshafts if necessary.

A universal floor shifter could be used instead of swapping columns.
  4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'll measure mine up tomorrow, there might be a spacer between the tranny and the transfer case, I can't remember.