1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Manual or Automatic?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by thomason_45, Dec 13, 2005.

1. thomason_45

thomason_45 Junior Member

I have a manual trans in my truck right now. I also have a rebuilt turbo 400 sitting in my garage... I don't like the stick and i would love an automatic... but alot of people have said the stick would be better for plowing.... What do you guys think?

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Unless you are doing roads, auto for plowing.

3. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Alot of guys are going to tell you to swap it out---I had an 88 that plowed for years (sold it a couple of weeks ago) was a stick with origanal clutch worked slick as SH*t. Its all what you are going to do with it and how hard a stick might be working all night. Ultimatly its personal preference! Plowing roads I'm with the other guy stick is easy no shifting select your gear and go!--But a lot of backing up and pushing does make for a long night!

4. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

ya personal preference is key, but it's also a good thing to have a stick if you have a belt driven hydro pump...usually they are slow so with the stick it makes it easier just to give it a little gas and depress the clutch,raises the plow a whole lot quicker...just my $.02

5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Auto, no comparison. If you are doing anything other than roads, you are going to be backing up a lot, it takes longer and your left leg will get real tired. I used to get done plowing with my 79 3/4 with a stick and it felt like my left leg was twice the size of my right. I swapped in an auto, was a piece of cake, I bypassed the hardest part by leaving the column alone and putting in an inexpensive cable operated Daytona floor shifter I got at VIP auto. It had a nice long handle so I could work it without reaching too far for it. Worked slick, never regretted it. Just make sure you put in a big trans oil cooler, with a gauge and an electric fan. Must have for plowing.

6. thomason_45

thomason_45 Junior Member

thanks

well thanks for all your input guys... it has definately helped me decide to swap it... so pretty soon here when i get some free time... im gonna tackle it... till then ill jus ride out the stick.... thanks again

7. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

If it were me i'd leave it in there, really doesnt make a differenc to me, I wouldn't however put an employee in one of my trucks with a stick.

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Both my one-tons are sticks. I've run mine for years with no trouble. We did a clutch swap a few winters ago because the people that did the last one cheaped out the $30 for the new throw-out bearing, which naturally failed...